Can't create new user that can login to GUI

When I creae a user (having taken all of the normal steps to create a user in Ubuntu) I can’t login to the GUI. I get the following errors in .xsession-errors:

/etc/X11/Xsession.d/50_check_unity_support: line 7: 1283 Segmentation fault (core dumped) /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test
openConnection: connect: No such file or directory
cannot connect to brltty at :0
upstart: Failed to spawn window-stack-bridge main process: unable to execute: No such file or directory
upstart: unity7 main process (1685) killed by SEGV signal
upstart: unity7 main process ended, respawning
upstart: unity7 main process (1757) killed by SEGV signal
upstart: unity7 main process (1785) killed by SEGV signal
upstart: update-notifier-crash (/var/crash/_usr_bin_compiz.1001.crash) main process (1376) terminated with status 1
upstart: update-notifier-crash (/var/crash/_usr_bin_compiz.0.crash) main process (1373) terminated with status 1

I have tried all of the suggestions on the Ubuntu Answers site. A lot of the similar issues have been attributed to NVIDIA drivers.

Does the user’s home directory exist, and can you log in via either local console or ssh? Are the UID and GIDs greater than or equal to 1000 (egrep ‘username’ /etc/groups and /etc/passwd will indicate this)? Do you have disk space still available (“df -H”)?

You might also check “dmesg --follow” while the login failure occurs. Additionally, “sudo tail -f /var/log/Xorg.0.log” while the login attempt fails.

I should have provide the info linuxdev requested the first time …

Yes, the user’s directory exists
Yes, I can log in to a terminal using ‘su’ while logged in to the GUI with the default ‘nvidia’ user.
Yes, the user’s UID and GIDs are all greater than 1000
Yes, there is plenty of disk space.

When I su to the user while logged in to the GUI with ‘nvidia’ all is well.
When I log in to the GUI with the user, all I see is the GUI background and the mouse, which is active. I tried but no terminal comes up.

So … I can’t do anything “while the login attempt fails”.
Xorg.0.log.old.txt (15.8 KB)

I have the Xorg.0.log.old’ from the previous login attempt by the user. I have renamed it ‘Xorg.0.log.old.txt’ so I can attach it. I can,t see anything wrong with it.

You may try adding this new user to group video.

Thank you. I’m in the middle of a build with user ‘nvidia’. I have added the offending user to the video group and will try it later … and respond here

It finds the keyboard without issue. I see it identifies a 9-button mouse, though it names it as coming from the keyboard…perhaps this is the pass-through USB, I don’t know. I do not see any other mouse identified besides the 9-button mouse. Does this sound correct?

@Honey_Patouceul’s suggestion to add the user to group video would also be my next suggestion (permission to use GPU).