Cant see extlinux.conf boot menu on screen

I want to add new boot option in /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf to test new dtb file, but I can’t see any boot menu options when I reboot my board. Is there anything I need do to display the boot options from extlinux.conf?

BTW, does NX support device tree overlays(dtbo file)? I will need do a few GPIO change in device tree, but dont want to change and compile whole dts files.

Thanks

Looks I need connect a console cable to show the boot menu, How to get boot menu/shell on Xavier NX?

I will try this.

1 Like

Yes, you need to use the uart console.

I just used console cable, now I can see the output on console window including the boot menu options, but there is no response for my input except Enter key, any other key like 0, 1 etc can’t work and no any display on screen.

What is “0,1” key here? What did you see on your screen?

The screen is like below. Whatever I inputed “1” or “2”, it always responsed Invalid option: 0.

[0008.163] I> L4T boot options
[0008.165] I> [1]: “primary kernel”
[0008.169] I> [2]: “backup kernel”
[0008.172] I> Enter choice:
[0009.001] I> Invalid option: 0
[0009.002] I> Enter choice:
[0010.568] I> Invalid option: 0
[0010.568] I> Enter choice:

Are you sure your TX/RX pin is connected correctly?

RX should be OK. I will check TX pin.

What is the content of your “/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf”?

content of “ /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf

TIMEOUT 30
DEFAULT primary

MENU TITLE L4T boot options

LABEL primary
MENU LABEL primary kernel
LINUX /boot/Image
INITRD /boot/initrd
APPEND ${cbootargs} quiet root=PARTUUID=298ecc06-34e1-4932-a67f-2111c4fdc6e0 rw rootwait rootfstype=ext4 console=ttyTCU0,115200n8 console=tty0 fbcon=map:0 net.ifnames=0

LABEL backup
MENU LABEL backup kernel
LINUX /boot/Image.backup
INITRD /boot/initrd
APPEND ${cbootargs} quiet root=PARTUUID=298ecc06-34e1-4932-a67f-2111c4fdc6e0 rw rootwait rootfstype=ext4 console=ttyTCU0,115200n8 console=tty0 fbcon=map:0 net.ifnames=0

If I add FDT in extlinux.conf to use my dtb file, how can I use new device tree overlays(dtbo) file? Where should I put the dtbo file?

The extlinux.conf looks ok to me, so it should be possible to interrupt boot at the correct moment (if you interrupt too soon and get the console, then just type “boot” and enter key, then kernel pick is immediately after that), and pick the first or second entry. Note that the key used for interrupt is “garbage” most of the time, and you’d end up hitting the backspace and then the key, e.g., a “1” if the interrupt keystroke is sitting there.

Not sure about overlay, I just work with the full device tree. Someone else would have to comment on that.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.