Can't SSH into Jetson Nano at work, but SSH works at home

So at home, I’m able to SSH into my Jetson Nano through Powershell easy peezy, but for some reason when I’m on my WPA2 network at work, I keep getting the ‘Connection timed out’ error.

Things that I’ve done :

• Verified several times now that my Jetson IP address is correct
  • Ensured the SSH Dameon was working through the ‘sudo systemctl status ssh’ command
  • Verified everything in my Network config file is correct
  • Used ‘sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade’
  • Restarted and fully shut down the Jetson

At this point, I’m clueless about what else I can do and any help would be much appreciated

For what it’s worth, I’m able to SSH and use VNC just fine with a Raspberry PI while I’m at work

Hello,

Welcome to the forums! This issue belongs in the Jetson Nano forum.

I have moved it over for you, so the support team has visibility.

1 Like

Hi,
Generally we connect Jetson devices to local area network and don’t hit this issue. It looks to be network setting is more strict in your office. Would see if other users can suggest tips for checking next.

1 Like

That’s what I was afraid of to be honest since I’m the only one in my department who’s doing any kind of coding work and our IT department hasn’t been that much help when I reached out to them in the past but I appreciate y’alls help!

Do you have access to the admin login of your router? You’d probably be able to look at logs and see what is going on. If not, then you’d probably have to ask the system admin about the router since it seems to be the router’s treatment allowing or denying the connection.

Unfortunately no, I work at a research hospital and the IT department hasn’t been very helpful in the past so I’m extremely skeptical they’ll be any help

But for what it’s worth, my colleague has a Debian machine and was able to connect to the Jetson Nano through our WPA2 network, but like what you said @linuxdev and the other’s that have commented so far on the issue

The problem I’m currently facing circles back to the hospital’s IT department :'(

On the Jetson, what do you see from “ifconfig” and “route”? Is the other machine Linux? If so, what do you see from that computer’s “ifconfig” and “route”? Note that you can log this and attach:

# From Jetson:
ifconfig 2>&1 | tee log_jetson.txt
# The "-a" appends instead of deleting:
route 2>&1 | tee -a log_jetson.txt

# From the host:
ifconfig 2>&1 | tee log_host.txt
# The "-a" appends instead of deleting:
route 2>&1 | tee -a log_host.txt

Then attach “log_jetson.txt” and “log_host.txt” to the forum thread.

If the host PC is not Linux, then I don’t have the commands memorized, but I think you would want “ipconfig /a” and “route /a” (not positive; also, I don’t know how to log this…you would have to mouse copy and paste).

From the Jetson, can you ping the outside world? For example, are you able to “ping google.com”?

On the Jetson, I can see the IP address listed under wlan0, but for the route, I’m not seeing anything for the ‘default’ destination under the wlan0 Iface

The host machine is a Windows machine but fortunately, the commands to log all the info are the same and I’ve attached the requested text files

For what it’s worth, I’m able to ping Google when using the ‘ping Google.com’ command and I’m able to access whatever website I want using the Firefox extension

log_host.txt (10.7 KB)
log_jetson.txt (2.6 KB)

The only device address assigned on the Jetson is the Wi-Fi, and as expected, it is non-routable (it works within the LAN, but not to incoming internet…only outgoing internet would work as the router translates). You have a default address in the routing table, which means the router would handle anything outside the local LAN, and this is why you can ping Google. Nothing incoming is expected to work unless it is on the same 172.17.124.0/21 subnet.

You’d have to figure out the way to get the information on the Windows side. However, it does include the IPv4 route table, which is useful. Looks like it uses the same broadcast to the same router, but this only matters outside the subnet and both devices are inside the subnet. The information is incomplete, but the Jetson address (172.17.127.69) seems to be reachable. I wish I knew for certain what the Windows IP is, but probably it is 172.17.122.120. From the Jetson, or from any machine on this same network, can you "ping 172.17.122.120? Can any other machine on this network “ping 172.17.127.69”? You mentioned the ability to ping before, but I want to be certain about this exact IP address.

This is not conclusive, but it appears that if there is a failure of traffic between those two address that it might be a setup issue related to security for the router, e.g., a particular port might be blocked. The fact is that you can see the outside world, so the devices are accepted, but a managed switch might block or allow certain traffic within the LAN itself. I know most large businesses with Wi-Fi will go to great effort to avoid random Wi-Fi traffic reaching internal systems, so this seems likely to be the case for you. If that is correct, then only the admins there can solve this.

For what it’s worth, my colleague and I at work figured it out.

TL;DR, it ended up being the Docker container that was running in the background that was the issue…

Why? Not sure, but I also forgot to mention a key thing when I first started this thread was the fact that I was using someone else’s Ubuntu 20.04 image which can be found here on my Jetson Nano (NOT the Jetson Orin Nano, the original Nano)

Since it doesn’t seem like NVIDIA is going to support the original Jetson Nano much longer, I didn’t want to waste time poking to what was going on with the Ubuntu 20.04 image that I downloaded from Qengineering

But for those who want to stick with their Jetson Nano and can’t access it while being connected to a WPA2 Wi-Fi network

Just kill the Docker daemon and you should be fine

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.