Can't wake up from suspend/hibernate? Need help!

I am currently using i3wm (with no display manager) and can’t seem to wake from suspend/hibernate. I used to be able to switch TTYs and restart X11 when the system would become unresponsive after suspending automatically. Right now I get a system crash (system does not respond to anything, and I need to hold down the power button).

Looking at journalctl I found that the nvidia-sleep.sh

May 06 22:27:15 Arch-Desktop nvidia-sleep.sh[13808]: /usr/bin/nvidia-sleep.sh: line 20: echo: write error: Input/output error
May 06 22:27:15 Arch-Desktop systemd[1]: nvidia-suspend.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
May 06 22:27:15 Arch-Desktop systemd[1]: nvidia-suspend.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
May 06 22:27:15 Arch-Desktop systemd[1]: Failed to start NVIDIA system suspend actions.
May 06 22:27:15 Arch-Desktop systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Suspend.
May 06 22:27:15 Arch-Desktop systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Suspend

I tried to change the permissions of the effected file but that did not help.

Can I get some help on this issue?

The location it wants to dump the video memory to (default: /tmp) doesn’t exist or is not writable. Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file to your post.

1 Like

Fixed it, it was set to /tmp-nvidia (which was indeed not created on my system). Trying to change it back to /tmp by setting NVreg_TemporaryFilePath does not do anything, is this normal behavior?

Thanks for the help!

I guess your distribution (or driver repo) already sets that in /lib/modprobe.d or /etc/modprobe.d thus overriding your setting. Also don’t forget to recreate the initrd after creating a modprobe config file. Like said, per default the option is unset and defaults to /tmp.