Carrier board 19V power adapter rated amperage

I apologize if this question is asked elsewhere, but the search terms I tried did not reveal an answer.

The TX1 developer kit comes with a carrier board that converts AC to 19V. Can you tell me the rated current on the output side of the adapter. The reason for my request is that I want to assign a worst-case power budget for the carrier board and module.

If you have the spec on the power consumed by the carrier board and module, Id appreciate it. Ive seen values from 1W to 15W, but its unclear if this includes the carrier, or if it just refers to the module itself.

Just looked at my power supply.

Input: 100-240VAC 50/60Hz, 1.3A

Output: 19V 4.74A, 90W Max.

Ouch. I found a link on Jetson Download Center | NVIDIA Developer (NVIDIA Jetson TX1 Developer Kit Carrier Board Specification) which confirms that on page 29.

It looks like 8W is reserved for the cameras, and some power is consumed by the touchscreen, but even after subtracting that the power consumption, it seems that VDD_MUX can drive as much as 60W.

It’s a GPU, 8-core CPU and all the associated power regulation for those two on a credit card sized board. It’s gonna be power hungry.

Note also that USB and PCIe require bus powered devices to have a certain amount of available current. I’m uncertain as to how much of those current requirements are due to this, but bus powered devices are one place you may find some flexibility in for max current.

Hi,

Is there any american or canadian that could read to the PWR_I2C that is used by the TX1 to have some current info ?

It’s pretty normal to have a such big rated input… Standards are evil :
SATA : 12V/1.5A = 18W + 5V/1.5A = 7.5W => 25.5W
PCIe : 12V/2.1A = 25.2W + 3.3V/3A = 9.9W => 35.1W

Only for those you have to reserve about 60W supply only “in case of” full use…
It seems that on carrier those power has been reduced and are not standard conform.
They are oversized and with the TX1 of about 15W + cam board of 10W + SATA + PCIe + USB ports 60W seems fair.

I really believe building a power supply as low as possible but still over the maximum consumption…needs the real consumption measurement ;)