CentOS 8 driver and GTX 1660

I have GeForce GTX 1660. I installed CentOS 8 (8.1.1911-x86_64) and installed NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-440.82 (and earlier fix packs). I can see login screen, but after login the screen goes black and I cannot even access terminals. I can’t use default driver because of resolution.
I can access to terminal if I try to do it before loading X server, I can revert changes and uninstall drivers. But I’m not very familiar with troubleshooting X-server.
Could you help me?

Rather use a package driver like rpmfusion instead of the .run installer.
If you still have issues, please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file to your post. You will have to rename the file ending to something else since the forum software doesn’t accept .gz files (nifty!).

Hello,

Sorry for a late reply, I can check only on evenings.

I reinstalled it with driver from rpmfusion (called kmod-nvidia). Before the kmod-nvidia I updated all the packages.
The result was similar, but this time I was able to see gray screen of CentOS rather then black screen. But mouse didn’t move and nothing happened. The Ctrl + Alt + F2 moved it to empty black screen.

Then I set in emergency mode during the boot and run
systemctl set-default multi-user.target
After rebbot I logged in with my user in console, and run

startx
The environment loaded, and I’m writing now from CentOS.

But I would like to load with graphical target and I see in log some errors. Please, take a look.

пн, 25 мая 2020 г. в 10:00, generix via NVIDIA Developer Forums <nvidia@discoursemail.com>:

(Attachment nvidia-bug-report.log.gz1 is missing)

I also reviewed journalctl and the only related thing I found during that session is:
Loading NVML: libnvidia-ml.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

But in previous logins I had nothing special in a log at all.

nvidia-bug-report.log.log (907.0 KB)

вт, 26 мая 2020 г. в 15:05, Татьяна Гавина <silvansee@gmail.com>:

The nvidia driver is loading now but too late so Xorg falls back to VGA. Please try embedding it into the initrd:
sudo dracut -f
also create /etc/X11/xorg.conf only containing

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "nvidia"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
    Option         "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration"
EndSection

After reboot, please create a new nvidia-bug-report.log

Hello,
I did what you asked. This time I see only empty screen after the login.

I guess driver influence on login screen as well. It is in right resolution.

Here is the log.

ср, 27 мая 2020 г. в 04:38, generix via NVIDIA Developer Forums <nvidia@discoursemail.com>:

nvidia-bug-report.log (969 KB)

Please run
sudo journalctl -b0 |grep “gdm-x-session” >journal.log
and attach the output file.

Please also remove the kernel parameter
rhgb
for testing.

Hello,

The journal.log is empty.

I tried on boot without rhgb, and it worked! Should I correct my grub config?

чт, 28 мая 2020 г. в 04:55, generix via NVIDIA Developer Forums <nvidia@discoursemail.com>:

It’s a recurring bug that the splash screen (plymouth) is blocking the user session. Remove rhgb from grub config as a workaround for now.

Hello,

Deleting this argument from grub config works. Thank you!
I think, this topic can be closed.

пт, 29 мая 2020 г. в 00:31, generix via NVIDIA Developer Forums <nvidia@discoursemail.com>: