Choosing best GPU for a company

Hi.
Our company uses VMware for users. We have about 70 office users, 16 civil 3d designers and 1 movie creator.
Now we have no VGA and we gave civil 3d designers & movie creator PCs.
1.1. Is it cost effective to use GRID for our company?
1.2. If yes, then which one do you recommend?
2.1. Do you suggest buying a cheap one and evaluate need for another one?
2.2. If yes, then which cheap VGA do you recommend?

Additional info:

Server:
HP DL38 G7
HP DL38 G8
HP DL38 G9

Storage:
2 Open-E + 24 SSD on HP DL38 G8

Software:
VMware Horizon View 6.0
VMware Esxi 5.5 (Update 2)

High ending softwares:
AutoCAD Civil 3D (Civil 3D designers)
Corel VideoStudio (Movie creator)

Introduced VGA:
Nvidia Geforce K1
Nvidia Geforce K2
Nvidia Tesla M10
Nvidia Tesla M60

Hi Tehrani,

you describe different use cases. First of all K1/K2 is EOL and not an option any more. For the 70 office users I would recommend Tesla M10 with vPC and for the 16 Civil users you should choose Tesla M60 with vWS license.

Regards

Simon

Hi Simon,
Thanks for your fast & accurate answer.
So K series is out & M60 with vMS license is best option for Civil users.

Now about 70 office users;
They are already using VMware & we have no problem. Is there any need for M10 for these users or it just has some improvement?

Regards

Tehrani

Another question:
what’s the difference between Tesla M60 & HPE m3x67a?
HP has customized M60 and selling it with double price. Why? and is it easier to setup? What’s their Pros and Cons?

Hi Tehrani,

in general VDI works for office users without GPU but with GPU the user experience is much better. Especially in tasks like browsing, youtube, office applications…
Do you use Win10 VDIs or Win7? The difference with GPU is even bigger with Win10. So I would recommend to give it a try during a PoC and let the users decide if it is worth to use a GPU for office VDI.

Regarding M60 and HP:
The OEMs have (sometimes) customized boards. But in general there are two passive boards available with different air flow (L2R and R2L) So you just need to use the current board and it should also work with HP. If you want to have full support from the OEM it would make sense to buy the given SKU from HP.

Regards

Simon

Hi again Simon,

About M10: We use Win8. So it’s about user experience. I will think about it. Thanks
About M60: We just want to satisfy our requirements and help & support is not important for us. Because of double price of HP VGA, we probably buy one M60 then if we need more process, we will buy another M60. I think it is more cost efficient. Do you agree?

Regards

Tehrani