"Command send failed (usb write failed)" on Cardhu HardWare

Hello Everyone!

I’ve got serious problems flashing Linux on my Tf700, that’s a tablet with Tegra 3 cpu. I get this error at the end of .img creation:

rcm version 0x4
Command send failed (usb write failed)

I tried to repeat the whole flashing process with different computers, but nothing changed. I browsed a lot, but i found nothing useful. Can everyone help me with this?
I apologize if i’m asking for things about an old hardware, but it could be really useful for me.
Thanks in advance!

If you are using the current Linux4Tegra, it doesn’t support the older Tegra 3. Even when using L4T from and older release like R16.5, you would need a board support package specific to your tablet.

I used the correct version for Tegra 3 (the last is 16), but if I understood well I need specific packages for my tf700? I used the packages present here: https://developer.nvidia.com/linux-tegra-rel-16

As per that page, only Cardhu and Ventana boards are directly supported.

Tf700 has cardhu hardware, as reported by cpuinfo used on it, so it would work.

The current Jetson using Tegra K1 is a good example of what would be needed beyond support for the Tegra chip itself. The Tegra3 and K1 share similar needs and architecture. In order for L4T to support the Jetson specifically, firmware and boot loader specific customizations for the surrounding board (especially memory) has to be added. Memory itself and clocks have timings which have to be customized before the hardware is even capable of operation without error.

The command send fail itself means that this version of L4T doesn’t understand the flash process in your Tf700. Going forward in time, something like Jetson has software built into it which activates when powered up as the reset button is held down. I don’t know if your Tf700 does this, but then the next step also has to work: A piece of software inside of the board must provide something equivalent to a mini boot loader itself (in Jetson the 3pserver seems to do this job in combination with a fastboot image). Lacking this, you’d need something like a JTAG debugger capable of programming the device.

Embedded devices are not like general desktop PCs so far as loading operating systems goes. Your desktop has either a BIOS or its equivalent which presents a uniform interface to install software, and which reports about hardware and does initial setup. Embedded systems do not have this, and as such each system requires board specific support and programming. Imagine if every motherboard for every desktop required a custom installer and you’ve just imagined the embedded world and the Tf700.

Thanks for this exhaustive answer! I will search a bit more on the web, checking if Simeone did something that could interest me on this Tablet.