Communicate between python scripts using Nucleus server

Hi !

I would like to exchange data between two (or more) python scripts, across the network, using Nucleus. The goal is to do like some extensions that connect external tools to Omniverse, like the one that connects VS Code or a Jupyter Notebook. Since a Nucleus server already allows me to connect applications across the network, I was thinking of using this as a bridge between my python scripts (or extensions) to exchange data and also control who connects.

I know that a connector creates this kind of connection between two applications, but in my case, I don’t want to synchronize two USD scenes but to be able to manage the data of one application from another application (or script, extension, etc.).

Until now I managed to do it locally using socket.io library and creating a server extension and a client extension, and now I want to do the same thing using Nucleus to handle the connection, is this possible?

This type of project, with communication through the network, is new to me, and I may not have the right approach.

Thanks!
Félix

Hi @Felix1234. This feels a bit hacky to use Nucleus for this. While it might be possible, I would probably use some other database or message queue for this. With that preface, you could maybe still author the state into USD. You could use custom prims and attributes to store the data you need.

1 Like

Hi! Alright, that’s what I thought, but I wanted to make sure I didn’t forget anything. Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.