Compiling Openmpi with PGI v 18.4 Community edition

Hi all,

I am trying to compile openmpi 3.1.1 with PGI community edition 18.4, but its dying during the ./configure step:

• pgi-2018/linux86-64/18.4/bin/pgcc option to accept ISO C99… none needed
    checking size of void *… 8
    checking size of size_t… 8
    checking size of ssize_t… 8
    configure: error: ptrdiff_t type is not available, this is required by C99 standard. Cannot continue

Any ideas how to resolve please?
[/quote]

I have also tried

./configure CFLAGS=-c99 CXXFLAGS=-c99

but this still fails at the same point with the same error.

Hi Mr. Pither,

pgcc defaults to using C99 so I wouldn’t expect a difference with or without the “-c99” flag.

While I would expect a different error, one possible cause would be that you need to specify “CPP=cpp” on your configure line. There’s some files that need to be preprocessed with cpp rather than pgc++. Here’s my configure line:

env CC=pgcc CFLAGS=-O2 CPP=cpp CXX=pgc++ CXXFLAGS=-O2 FC=pgfortran FCFLAGS=-O2 ./configure --enable-shared --enable-static --without-tm --enable-mpi-cxx

If you still get the failure, then my best guess is that there’s something off with your system header files, or there’s some other type of configuration issue.

-Mat

HI Mat,

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried this now on:

• CentOS 7.4 with kernel 4.13 from kernel.org
  • CentOS 7.5 with the native centos kernel 3.10

I used your env and .configure lines … but the same error continues to be generated when trygin to compile openmpi3.1.1 with pgi-2018 I am afraid

Thanks
Mr. P

These are my installed glibc and gcc rpms:

[openmpi-3.1.1]$ rpm -qa |grep gcc
libgcc-4.8.5-16.el7_4.2.i686
libgcc-4.8.5-16.el7_4.2.x86_64
gcc-4.8.5-16.el7_4.2.x86_64
gcc-gfortran-4.8.5-16.el7_4.2.x86_64
gcc-c+±4.8.5-16.el7_4.2.x86_64

[openmpi-3.1.1]$ rpm -qa |grep glibc
glibc-2.17-196.el7_4.2.i686
glibc-common-2.17-196.el7_4.2.x86_64
glibc-devel-2.17-196.el7_4.2.x86_64
glibc-2.17-196.el7_4.2.x86_64
glibc-headers-2.17-196.el7_4.2.x86_64
glibc-devel-2.17-196.el7_4.2.i686

Hi Mr. Pither,

Could you send us the config.log file generated after you ran ./configure and it failed? This will help shed some light on what might be causing the failure.

You can email the file to trs@pgroup.com, and it will find its way to me.

Thanks,

+chris

Chris thanks a lot. I have sent over that email with reasons for lag in response time.

Much appreciated!

Did you ever get a solution for this? I’m running into the same issue.

Hi Mr. Pither,

Sorry for the similar delay in my response - apparently I had missed the email where you had sent your config.log to me. My apologies.

I reviewed your config.log, and it looks like you did not set CPP=cpp as Mat had suggested above. I see this in your config.log:

CPP='/cm/opt/pgi-2018/linux86-64/18.4/bin/pgcc -Mcpp'

This is the default value set by the PGI module files, but unfortunately, the PGI preprocessor does not process certain source files used by Open MPI’s configure tests in a way that Open MPI expects. The workaround for this is to use the GNU preprocessor instead, by explicitly setting CPP=cpp.

Make sure you set CPP=cpp as in the following example invocation of ./configure:

env CC=pgcc CFLAGS=-O2 CPP=cpp CXX=pgc++ CXXFLAGS=-O2 FC=pgfortran FCFLAGS=-O2 ./configure --enable-shared --enable-static --without-tm --enable-mpi-cxx --prefix=/var/tmp/openmpi

I just ran this ./configure line with Open MPI 3.1.2 on our centos7 (CentOS Linux release 7.5.1804 (Core) release) with the 18.4 CE, and ./configure completed all the way to the end successfully for me.

Hope this helps.

+chris

This worked for me. Thanks.
I’d been smashing my head against the wall for the better part 3 weeks now over this. Now I can proceed with my thesis.

Of note though:

The order of the flags in there made a difference. I was having an issue compiling still( I was using some additional flags).

also had this same issue when trying to compile FFTW.

Actually still getting the same issue with FFTW.

picc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I…/…/mpi -I… -I …/… -I …/…/api -O3 -c -o mpi_bench-mpi-bench.o test -f 'mpi-bench.c' || echo '../../mpi/'mpi-bench.c
PGC-F-0249-#error – MPI type for ptrdiff_t is unknown (…/…/mpi/mpi-bench.c: 31)
PGC/x86-64 Linux 18.4-0: compilation aborted
make[3]: *** [mpi_bench-mpi-bench.o] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory /root/Downloads/fftw-3.3.8/build/mpi' make[2]: *** [all] Error 2 make[2]: Leaving directory /root/Downloads/fftw-3.3.8/build/mpi’
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/Downloads/fftw-3.3.8/build’
make: *** [all] Error 2

This was using openmpi compiled with PGI 18.4

Hi,

Send your config.log file that FFTW to trs@pgroup.com, and I’ll take a look at it.

Thanks,

+chris