Connecting a notebook via DP1.4 over MST with multiple monitors

Dear Sirs

i would like to use my notebook (Ryzen-9 with integrated Radeon and an additional Nvidia RTX 3060) in my office. In order to connect device with 3 4K monitors i purchased a MST docking station, because the notebook has two Alt-DP 1.4 connectors. One of them can be used to archived the connection with a 30/60/30 Hz display rate under Windows. This would be a perfect configuration (it runs fast and solid) for a Windows user, but i need Linux (fedora is preffered)

So i installed Fedora (parallel to windows) and was trying to run my 3 displays with the same configuration. The pre-installed Fedora failed, due to a lack of the MST support for the open source nueveau driver.

So i disabled nueveau and instaled the latest NVidia driver from RPM-Fusion. The result looked very promising. I was able to adress those 3 4K Monitors with a 30/30/30 Hz rate, but to my suprise, the Fefora was not using Wayland, instead it was running on the top of X11 with a weired lag.

So what is the best working solution:

• i thought the Wayland support would be available for the latest NVidia driver, what is the current status?
  • do i better use X11 instead of Wayland
  • who has some experience with the configurtion of MST docks

@Nvidia: iff you need any information in order to solve technical problem, please feel free to contact me!

GroovyMan

Please check switching the nvidia gpu to primary:
https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/Optimus#NVIDIA_PrimaryGPU_Support
Also, prime sync should be enabled, if not already done by the rpmfusion driver:

sudo cat /sys/module/nvidia_drm/parameters/modeset

should return ‘Y’ if done if enabled, otherwise use kernel parameter

nvidia-drm.modeset=1

and reboot.

About the state of nvidia gbm support for wayland in fedora and how to enable it, I guess you’re better off asking in the fedora forums.

Salut,
i got 2 of three monitors working, anyway the CPU-load for the display-server is too high and the configuration of the 3 monitors is a quite cumbersome work. On Windows
i had to go in a 30/60/30 Hz config, to get 3 displays served with 4K (thats fine for me) while the notebook display is left blank

Using the gnome or kde tools to configure the same cause some chaotic behaviors,
i.e. i am trying to set one of both running displays from 30 to 60Hz in oder to enable the third one, but this cause a mess with distortions on one display.

Would’nt it be possible to do this with a nvidia tool?

Ok the high CPU load was due to already solved software bug in gnome-shell or mutter.
Anywy the problem of dispplaying only 2 of 3 availbale monitors still exist.

I beleive that this should be a problem of the 495 nvidia driver, becaue the 3 monitors are detected by the gnome-config-center and also the graphical nvidia-settings tool. The problem is, that both tools show correct display parameters (i.e. frame-rate or available resolutions) but you can not get both DP connected displays running at the same time! . (the third monitor is a HMDI connected display is active and does not have any problems).

When the systems starts you will see the boot screen also on one of the DP connected displays and the HDMI one with a delay of 3 secound after the boot screen appears on the notebook display. I suggestt it is the nvidia driver that is beeing loaded and doing the same mistake.

And yes DRM kernel parameter has benn set !