Connection issue after installing LLDP on TX2

Hi,

I have recently installed lldpd on my TX2 to use LLDP protocol. The issue I am having is that ping test starts failing after 20-25 sec of reboot and if am remote logged in, the terminal just froze. This issue is occurring only when I’m using the static IP assignment. I did not have this issue when lldpd wasn’t installed. Please help.

Can you provide a boot log and debug output from serial console? This will work even when most of the system is failing. See:
http://www.jetsonhacks.com/2017/03/24/serial-console-nvidia-jetson-tx2/

With serial console you will be able to see what shows up on dmesg during and/or after the issue. You would also be able to provide the output of “ifconfig”, which provides some network error statistics.

Hi

Please find the attached logs from ‘dmesg’ and ‘ifconfig’ result.
I don’t see any new message generated after the issue occurred.
dmesg_output.txt (71.1 KB)

Thanks
Azam

It looks like there are a lot of cameras, which is a topic I’m not particularly good with, but there do not seem to be any errors. The ifconfig itself has no errors, but the amount of traffic is quite small. I am wondering, if you let the cameras try to function for a couple of minutes, can you post a “before” ifconfig, and then after the extra couple of minutes, an “after” ifconfig? I’m wondering if the traffic attempts go up, or if perhaps the interface isn’t even being considered.

Also, please post the output of “route”, and describe the physical connections and wiring, e.g., cameras to a switch and switch to Jetson, how a router might be connected, whether cameras have a fixed address or not (and if so, what addresses they are using), so on.

EDIT: The above still applies, but I do see an interesting error:

[   15.178841] Unsupported IOCTL callit would have probably only found the amd64 package
[   16.968839] Unsupported IOCTL call

Unfortunately, I do not see any hint in the log as to what program made those IOCTL calls. However, the implication is that the software is expecting a different driver or a kernel feature which is missing. To some extent every driver talking to hardware can be accessed with common file read/write style access, but when there is something custom to the driver, then this is implemented as an IOCTL. Maybe this is related to how you installed LLDP, e.g, if you set this as a module by directly editing the “.config” and failing to install dependencies (or indeed, having correctly set the LLDP with a config editor, but not installing other modules which are prerequisites), then you would see messages about unsupported IOCTL calls. I just don’t know from the log what IOCTL was failing.

Hi,

There are no external devices connected to my TX2. I have picked this only to test LLDP on it. I have attached the requested details.
after_ifconfig.txt (918 Bytes) before_ifconfig.txt (913 Bytes) dmesg_output.txt (1.5 KB) route_output.txt (334 Bytes)

I did reinstalled lldpd (sudo apt-get install lldpd) to check if I had missed any dependency earlier and did not change any config settings. But I am still facing the same issue.
Regarding this IOCTL call error, I noticed below calls after I changed IP configuration to static.
[ 628.473149] Unsupported IOCTL call
[ 671.481263] Unsupported IOCTL call
[ 671.498367] Unsupported IOCTL call

Other than this no error log was observed.

Thanks

Hi,

I have observed one more thing. Ping and ssh access is available if my system(laptop) is connected to the WiFi (doesn’t matter if TX2 is in static or dhcp configuration). Here is how my TX2 and laptop are connected over a network:

1. Router
  2. TX2 connected to router via ethernet cable.
  3. Laptop connected to router via ethernet or over WiFi connection.

So the problem is only over ethernet connection.

Thanks

The before and after ifconfig show perfect function, and the route is valid to use this. For reference, only wired shows up, no WiFi.

On your laptop, if its address and route combination work with the 192.168.1.x/24 route, then it should be able to ping. Using WiFi or instead using wired on the laptop could conceivably change addresses such that in one case the route will work, and in another case, the route will not work. However, up until this point, the Jetson is working as it should without error.

To clarify, are you saying your laptop can ping and ssh only if WiFi is used? Or are you saying that ping and ssh work regardless of whether using WiFi or wired? I’m guessing the former is what you are suggesting, and this does seem to be a host side issue rather than a Jetson issue.

On the laptop, without using WiFi, what do you see from “ifconfig” and “route”? On the laptop, when it is instead WiFi which is running, what do you then see from “ifconfig” and “route”?

Relating to this error:
[ 28.411841] Unsupported IOCTL call
…I’m still not positive which driver was being called, nor do I know what application or library was trying to make that IOCTL call. I do see that the first occurrence appears to be after HDMI/video is started. This might be completely unrelated, but it is also possible that the software trying to make this call only occurs when the GUI stage is reached (meaning part of the GUI login environment). Don’t know, but after we know about networking on the laptop side, the next thing would be to try to trace where the IOCTL call is coming from.

You could also search “LLDP” on this forum and you shall see this post.

1 Like

Hi Wayne,

I did not understand the fix you are suggesting. Where do I find this drv.c file in my TX2?

Thanks

It is a patch in kernel and you have to rebuild the kernel.
However, there is no kernel source on tegra. You have to download it from our download center.

If you don’t know how to build the kernel, please follow the l4t developer guide or search the forum for similar topics.

Thanks both. I have rebuild my TX2 with the corrections. The issue is fixed now.