could not be re-validated

Recently the nvidia driver has refused to talk to my monitor after I leave the monitor powered off overnight. When I turn it back on, this sort of nonsense appears in the X0rg.0.log file:

[  3286.516] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-2: disconnected
[  3286.516] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-2: Internal DisplayPort
[  3286.516] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-2: 1440.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
[  3286.516] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): 
[317268.272] (WW) NVIDIA(0): MetaMode "DP-0:2560x1440" could not be re-validated against
[317268.272] (WW) NVIDIA(0):     the current hardware configuration; removing.
[317268.272] (WW) NVIDIA(0): MetaMode "DP-0:1920x1200" could not be re-validated against
[317268.272] (WW) NVIDIA(0):     the current hardware configuration; removing.

I suspect it is trying to talk to the monitor before the monitor has fulling woken up after being off.

Is there some driver option I can turn on to make it stop this re-validation and just use all the information that worked so well the last time the monitor was on? I tried telling it to uses the EDID I copied to a file, but it apparently isn’t re-validating against that.

This started happening fairly recently. I used to be able to leave the monitor off all weekend and turn it back on in Monday, and it would be fine. Now I get a black screen and have to reboot the system to start from scratch.

I have the exact same issue on boot up. However, sometimes this requires multiple reboots to function correctly. All help is greatly appreciated.

Please attach nvidia-bug-report.gz

DisplayPort works by first training the link to the highest available bandwidth given current conditions, and then finding modes that fit within that bandwidth. The message here means that the available bandwidth is lower after resuming than the current mode requires. That could happen for all kinds of reasons (bad cable, RF interference, monitor firmware having a bad day, etc.). Unfortunately, unlike DVI and HDMI, it’s not possible to just ignore that and send the data anyway.

If your monitor is failing to train to a higher bandwidth then there’s not a whole lot that the driver can do about that. It’s strange that it was working and started failing, though. Does your monitor have a low-power sleep mode option in its on-screen display? If so, please try disabling that.