Created image hangs on first boot

I’ve been following the directions in the L4T dev guide. I took the example rootfs, applied the binaries, customized it a bit more (added some drivers and other packages), and then created a disk image. I used the command:

sudo ./create-jetson-nano-sd-card-image.sh -o sd-blob.img -s 8G -r 300

I used that 8G because I wanted the resulting image to be as small as possible, as I understood that the initial setup would re-expand the card to use available space.

On first boot I’m presented with the mostly normal sequence, although I am asked something that doesn’t happen with the “stock” image - “Please enter the desired size of the APP partition in Megabytes”. I was trying a 32GB card, it said the max size 30513.

Then it goes through a few other setup steps and then sort of hangs. Mouse still works, I can click on the network and power icons (although the power off command doesn’t seem to work). Any way I can find out why it’s unhappy?

I got the “please enter app partition size” with the latest image I created, but it booted fine eventually. It seems the first boot resizing step has changed in the latest release if using the GUI.

I mastered the image using the same steps you described, although I didn’t install any new drivers.

The first, official, l4t image I used hung at unattended upgrades. You can try booting without a network cable and see if that fixes it for you. It did when I encountered the issue.

If all else fails, you could try booting with a serial console and see if you can complete first boot like that (no HDMI/DP connected). Instructions are in this forum’s faq thread, I believe.

I am unaware of any way to get the GUI installer to be more verbose (it would be nice) but someone from Nvidia might know. I don’t think virtual consoles are available before first boot completes, so that option is out.

Sorry for late reply. Could you share where you see this error “Please enter the desired size of the APP partition in Megabyte”?

i am seeing this problem after i create my user name and password on my device