Creating custom carrier

Is anyone familiar with a decent writeup of someone creating a carrier board? I’ve looked over the dev docs for pinouts, and am just doing preliminary research to understand level of effort involved.

More specifically, I want to investigate building my own hardware for CSI camera input and video-out

The image signals are high-speed, often differential signals. You will likely want impedance controlled PCBs to make sure it performs to spec, and use a package that allows you to route at equal length.

Also, for USB 3, and Ethernet, you may have similar high-speed signal challenges. And if you use PCI-Ex.

Additionally, to get the camera to work, you need to set up the device tree and internal pin muxes correctly for whatever your layout is; this means writing your own dts file and building and flashing with it.

Finally, to get the CSI camera to work, you need to port whatever the sensor driver is, to the TX2. Unfortunately, I have seen nobody who has managed to hook a CSI camera up to the built-in image processor in the Jetson successfully yet – all publicly available solutions just give you raw Bayer, or do software de-bayering into the Video4Linux layer, rather than using the NVIDIA image processing pipeline.

I’ve built (and even sold) a few 4-layer boards adapting various peripherals and MCUs, using CadSoft Eagle and KiCad. I would not be comfortable making a Jetson carrier board; I’d probably need several iterations to get it working. Also, I don’t have fast enough scopes to verify what the signals are supposed to be doing. Finally, the driver/configuration development to support CSI and DSI would be annoying.

If your reason to make your own board is simply “none of the available boards have the combination of features I want,” I’d probably recommend against it, unless you have lost of experience, money, and time, to spend. Instead, bite down, and pick the best match existing board. (connect tech, auvidea, and colorado engineering come to mind as sources for TX2 carrier boards.)
Note that most of those boards will also have driver problems – something happened with TX2 that makes the available solutions decidedly not plug-and-play.