CUDA 1.1 Profiler Bug invalid entry in config file == crash.

Synopsis: Invalid entry in a Profiler Configuration File causes the application to crash with a double free in a linked list.
CUDA toolkit release version: NVIDIA_CUDA_Toolkit_1.1_rhel5_x86_64.run
SDK release version: NVIDIA_CUDA_SDK_1.1_Linux.run
Driver version: NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-169.04-pkg2.run
Compiler: gcc version 4.1.2 (Gentoo 4.1.2) & nvcc from 1.1 (V0.2.1221, built Fri_Nov_30_01:55:35_PST_2007)
System description: Dell Precision 390; Intel Core 2 Extremem QX6700 2.66GHz; 2GB RAM; GeForce 8800 GTX

Detailed description:
Invalid entry in a Profiler Configuration File causes the application to crash with a double free in a linked list.

Steps to reproduce:
echo x > ~/bad_cfg export CUDA_PROFILE=1
export CUDA_PROFILE_CONFIG=~/bad_cfg ~/NVIDIA_CUDA_SDK/bin/linux/release/matrixMul

Actual results: Program crashes with the stack dump due to double free. See attached files crash.txt for full text.
[attachment=4901:attachment]

Expected results: Generated cuda_profile.log to contain an error message saying “Unknown option ‘x’ in profiler config: ~/bad_cfg” similar to the error you get when you specify an profiler configuration file that does not exist.
crash.txt (10.3 KB)

I’m able to replicate this with the 1.1 release. However, it no longer reproduces when using the latest internal development build. Instead, I see the following in the profiler log:

Error in profiler config file: /root/bad_cfg
Invalid profiler config option: x

So this should be resolved in the next release.

thanks,
Lonni

Sounds good to me. Thanks Lonni.