CUDA binary kernel for this graphics card compute capability error

I am getting “CUDA binary kernel for this graphics card compute capability error” in Cinema 4D. I tried to get a test render with Cycles4D, Redshift and Arnold. They both have the same error and not rendering in CUDA / GPU.

PC specs / RTX 3060 ti, Ryzen 5

Generally speaking, different GPU architectures are not binary compatible. It is therefore a best practice to build so called “fat” binaries that contain the machine code for each GPU architecture one intends to support with a given product. In addition, for forward compatibility, the fat binary should include code in a portable intermediate virtual machine language called PTX. This can be JIT-compiled at runtime into the machine code for the GPU currently in use.

When a CUDA-accelerated app starts, the CUDA runtime first looks for machine code for the specific architecture of the GPU currently in use. If that cannot be found, it looks for PTX that can be JIT compiled. If that isn’t found it gives up, leading to the sort of error you encountered.

Check whether the app vendor has a new version of this app available that supports the Ampere architecture (compute capability 8.x; specifically 8.6 for the RTX 3060 Ti). You might also want to file an enhancement request with the vendor to include PTX in their fat binaries, as that apparently isn’t present, leading to lack of forward compatibility.

1 Like

Which version of Redshift and driver did you try?

These folks got a result: GPU Rendering - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Performance

1 Like

Redshift 2.6.41 installed. Its madness so far I couldn’t really enjoy my new rtx card yet, neither for work nor game.

But it’s working for the operating system GUI, correct? What’s the OS, what’s the NVIDIA driver version?

That could be your problem. Puget successfully tested using Redshift Demo 3.0.28 and 3.0.36 is the available version at their website.

If you are using the plugin for Cinema 4D and the newer versions still don’t work, then you probably need to contact them to update their software.

EDIT: Added 'Demo" to avoid confusion around version numbers.

Nitpick: The current version of Redshift appears to be Redshift v3.0.37. As a note to OP, the download site spells out:

Redshift 3.0 versions require recent or the latest NVidia drivers!

Counter-nitpick, I was looking at the Redshift Demo version - as tested by Puget… :)

[removed by author]

Original reference edited to avoid confusion.

With the latest Redshift 3.0.36 version working now. But I think I will have to wait for Cycled4D update.