CUDA error on Ubuntu Jaunty Error

Hi everybody
I have the GeForce 9600 which I got to try out CUDA. I installed the nvidia driver and got it installed successfully ( I think) And then I downloaded the cudadriver_2.3_linux_32_190.18.run. When I do a

sudo sh cudadriver_2.3_linux_32_190.18.run ,

I get an error saying I am running an xwindow and that s why the installation failed. it says “please exit xwindows”…

Now I am wondering even if nvidia is enabled on the system. so then i run

nvidia-settings --query all and this is the output I get.

Xlib: extension “GLX” missing on display “:0.0”.

ERROR: Error while querying attribute ‘GLXServerVersion’ on Durga:0.0 (Missing Extension).

ERROR: Error while querying attribute ‘GLXClientVersion’ on Durga:0.0 (Missing Extension).

ERROR: Error while querying attribute ‘OpenGLVersion’ on Durga:0.0 (Missing Extension).

What am I doing wrong? Is Nvidia even installed here? I need some guidance here. I have tried to obtain information regarding this but came up unsuccessful or maybe I am looking the wrong places.
Regards
Quant

You need to install the NVIDIA driver without X11 running. The simplest way to do that is to log off, then switch to a tty terminal (press ctrl-alt-f1) and then login. Then do:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

which will shut down the X11 server. You can then run the NVIDIA installer. After it is finished run:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

and you are done. This is discussed in the readme/release notes which NVIDIA offer to you when you down load their driver bundle from their official repository.