CUDA for Debina How to install CUDA on Linux (Debian)

Hi,

I want to install the CUDA Toolkit and SDK on my Linux (Debian) machine. My questions are as follows:

1. Is Debian supported ? Because I could not find the toolkit for Debian. There is one for Ubuntu.

2. Can I use CUDA in emulation mode without installing the display driver ?

3. I installed the toolkit for Ubuntu and the SDK for Linux but I did not install the display driver. When I use “sudo make emu=1” I got errors such as

./…/common/inc/GL/glut.h:59:19: error: GL/gl.h: No such file or directory

What is the reason for this error?

Thank you.

Debian is not explicitly supported, however Ubuntu is.

Emulation does not require an NVIDIA display driver or NVIDIA graphics card.

gl.h is provided by either the NVIDIA display driver, or via an equivalent Mesa/GL package that ships with your Linux distribution. However, if you aren’t using the NVIDIA display driver, you’re going to have a hard time running any samples which require OpenGL acceleration.

Thanks for your reply.

It is not clear to me, if I do not have the actual NVIDIA card, can I still install the NVIDIA display driver ? And, if I install the NVIDIA dispaly driver, the problem with gl will go away ?

Thanks.

I have installed the CUDA sdk, toolkit and driver on my Debian 64 (testing) without big problem using the Ubuntu package.

To install the driver, use the .run and compile your driver during the installation

++ Beleys

apt-get install freeglut3-dev