CUDA for OpenSolaris CUDA for OpenSolaris: when?

Hello, when will CUDA for OpenSolaris be ready?

That’s a question you’d need to ask SUN. NVIDIA has no current plans to release a Solaris version of CUDA.

Why? Is Sun blocking things?

SUN isn’t blocking anything. NVIDIA has no current plans to release a Solaris version of CUDA.

Hello, has NVidia’s plan changed already? I’m asking since I would like to see CUDA working on Solaris for our current number-crunching projects we woud like to use GPUs.

Thanks,

Karel

Solaris under Intel OR Solaris under Sparc?

I’m sure that it would have to be Solaris on Intel, because SPARC is big-endian (and so would require either all of your data to be byte-swapped to the card, and then back from the card, or to totally rewrite all the kernels + the CUDA driver/runtime).

I think your best chance of something like this today is to get the x86 Linux NVIDIA driver running under a Xen virtual machine, plus the CUDA toolkit etc., and use the VM for CUDA tasks. Then use OpenSolaris as the mother OS.

It’s theoretically possible, and looks like a short leap than a full Solaris CUDA implementation + driver. I don’t know if this is anywhere near possible in real life though.

However, when Mac OS X gets ZFS, it may have become close enough to Solaris, feature-wise, for it to be a tenable Solaris replacement in some instances. Mac OS X already has DTrace and assorted other stuff.

Sorry for the omission. Solaris on x64 (64bit x86) machine.

Thanks,

Karel

SPARC is not big-endian after v9. after v9 it is bi-endian