Cuda Fortran and Visual Studio 2010

Hello,

PGI Fortran for Windows can compile a CUDA Fortran code on a system where there is only Visual Studio 2010 ?

I ask this because the current NVIDIA CUDA drivers (release 3.2) works only with VS 2008.

A different question will be if I need to install the CUDA developers drivers and CUDA Toolkit in order to be able to use PGI Fortran on my computer.

Thanks,

Renard

Hi Renard,

PGI Fortran for Windows can compile a CUDA Fortran code on a system where there is only Visual Studio 2010 ?

Yes.

I ask this because the current NVIDIA CUDA drivers (release 3.2) works only with VS 2008.

While I don’t know, I’m not sure why the CUDA device drivers would depend on the VS version. The drivers are runtime while VS would be the build environment. More likely it’s nvcc that has the dependency since the front end requires particular header files and there might be some runtime library issues as well. Granted, I don’t know for sure since I don’t use nvcc on Windows much.

A different question will be if I need to install the CUDA developers drivers and CUDA Toolkit in order to be able to use PGI Fortran on my computer.

We ship all necessary components needed to build your application. The only requirement is that you install the NVIDIA device drivers in order to run your program.

Hope this helps,
Mat

Thanks for your quick answer, I will let you know if I’ve had any problem installing and using PGI Fortran on a system with VS 2010. I’ve just wanted to have a confirmation that this should work.

Renard

It works.