cuda-gdb on Debian: no libtermcap.so.2

Hi everyone!

The cuda-gdb that is being distributed requires libtermcap.so.2, which is not part of Debian anymore since 2005. Thus, it cannot be run on Debian based machines. The Debian FAQ (http://www.de.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-compat.en.html) states, that the programs should be linked against ncurses and terminfo instead. Can this be done, or can libtermcap be linked statically against cuda-gdb? That would be awesome…

Cheers,

Arne

The offical answer you get will be twofold: (i) cuda-gdb is only supported on RHEL5 and (ii) Debian isn’t a supported distribution in any case.

One theoretical work-around (and I haven’t tried it) would be to build your own termcap library from the Redhat/Centos 5 source, install it somewhere unobtrusive and then use the appropriate LD_LIBRARY_PATH settings to let cuda-db to find it. Another might be to try a tool like alien to convert a Centos 5 (or scientific or whitebox or another RHEL 5 source build clone) binary termcap library into an rpm and install that (again perhaps in a none standard place to prevent any conflicts with Debian distribution files).

It seems that ncurses provides the same ABI as termcap, so you can just do this:

# ln -s /usr/lib/libncurses.so /usr/local/cuda/lib/libtermcap.so.2

It works for me on Debian Sid.

Yes, works on squeeze here as well! Thanks a lot!

Arne

Linking to libtinfo.so also seems to work. (Fedora Core 9, x64)

Jeremy

On a fresh install of Fedora 10 (x86_64) the following worked (at least for getting cuda-gdb to start up):
[font=“Courier New”]sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libncurses.so /usr/local/cuda/2.2/toolkit/cuda/lib/libtermcap.so.2[/font]
(note I have CUDA installed in a non-default location).

i had the exact same problem (libtinfo.so.5 not found) under mandriva 2010 64bit and i solved it by:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libncurses.so /usr/local/cuda/lib64/libtinfo.so.5

i had the exact same problem (libtinfo.so.5 not found) under mandriva 2010 64bit and i solved it by:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libncurses.so /usr/local/cuda/lib64/libtinfo.so.5