CUDA installation on a Desktop with Fedora 16, NVS 310 and no internet connection

Hello!

I am trying to run CUDA programs on a Fedora 16 Linux desktop which is not connect to the internet, but has a CUDA enabled GPU. I installed Fedora 16 by downloading the DVD version and installed it with the NVIDIA driver and CUDA 5.0 toolkit. However, the system becomes unstable when I reboot and I get an error on the screen saying “Contact System Admin”. Once I uninstall the NVIDIA driver everything seems to work fine. However I need the NVIDIA driver to run my simulations.

I am guessing if I update my kernel files on Fedora 16 everything should work out fine. I think so because I had installed the NVIDIA deiver on Fedora 17 and it was working great. However, I found out that CUDA is not compatible as it has gcc version 4.7 so had to go for Fedora 16. Finally, any idea how to update the kernel files on the Fedora 16 desktop machine without internet? I have access to a windows machine with internet and I used a USB drive to download the latest NVIDIA driver and CUDA 5.0. Then copied onto to the desktop to install these files. Thanks!

I guess you can download update packages in .tar.gz format and then use terminal line to install them in your fedora. you can find update packages through temporary directory which is used by Fedora update manager software.

Thank you for your response! If you could expand more that would be great. Where can I find these update packages in .tar.gz format? I searched on the Fedoraproject.org and all of the help is geared towards using yum. I do not have an internet connection on the Linux machine and all the help I can find on the internet goes through yum and requires internet connection.

I am not familiar with fedora but in Ubuntu I had done this by mean of synaptic package manager. synaptic is a software in Ubuntu which download and install packages. I found its temporary folder in which there was packages and copy them to the PC which had not access to the internet then I install them through terminal line.
may be you can do the same in Fedora. I guess if you can find the temporary folder in which the OS and update manager of it place their packages then you can copy the packages before the OS delete them.
I suggest you install the same version of Fedora in a PC with internet connection then let it to start update itself then at that time try to find the packages which are being downloaded. then copy all of them to another folder and move them to the PC which have not access to the internet.
another approach is to find the exact name of the packages you need for update and try to download them through terminal line in a system with internet connection by appropriate command for example:
sudo apt-get …
but the most easiest way is to finding some way to connect the PC to the internet.

Thanks for your reply. I can’t connect the linux desktop to the internet because of an IT policy issue in the department.

I have solved the issue by installing Fedora 17 DVD on which I could install the nVidia driver without any stability issues. Then I built gcc 4.6.3 from source in a local directory and tricked CUDA 5.0 installer to use the local version of gcc 4.6.3. Instead of gcc 4.7 being called which is the default gcc version on Fedora 17 and is incompatible with CUDA 5.0. I appreciate your help and thanks for your time.