CUDA/openCL on a Tesla c2050 under OSX

Hi,
Im really new at this, and trying to learn about GPU processing, and am currently stuck with some hardware limitations. The setup was to try and use a tesla c2050 as a gpu for gpu computing. The card is physically installed in a MAC pro tower. However, from what I gather, there is no supported driver for OSX (running Snow Leopard 10.6.4). Is there anyway I can still communicate with the card to run CUDA/openCL applications?

Thanks,
-ccsand

No Tesla support on Mac OS X yet. You need to use the Mac certified NVIDIA cards.

No Tesla support on Mac OS X yet. You need to use the Mac certified NVIDIA cards.

Is it only specific to the c2050 or are other tesla cars supported?
Apparently, this guy made it work on a MacPro under CentOS with a c1060:

http://acceleratedcomputing.blogspot.com/2…060-on-mac.html

So, which card is supported?

Thank you.

Is it only specific to the c2050 or are other tesla cars supported?
Apparently, this guy made it work on a MacPro under CentOS with a c1060:

http://acceleratedcomputing.blogspot.com/2…060-on-mac.html

So, which card is supported?

Thank you.

The underlying problem is that GPUs for Intel Macs require EFI firmware, rather than the standard PC VGA BIOS. There are no EFI Fermi cards, so there is no possibility of getting a C2050 to work. Previous EFI injection hacks in OS X worked with the GT200 based Tesla cards by using EFI firmware ripped from a Mac GTX285. Running Linux on a Mac Pro requires Boot Camp and/or rEFIt (which effectively provide PC BIOS emulation over EFI). The problem doesn’t change for your C2050, though. If there is no EFI firmware, I don’t believe it can work.

The underlying problem is that GPUs for Intel Macs require EFI firmware, rather than the standard PC VGA BIOS. There are no EFI Fermi cards, so there is no possibility of getting a C2050 to work. Previous EFI injection hacks in OS X worked with the GT200 based Tesla cards by using EFI firmware ripped from a Mac GTX285. Running Linux on a Mac Pro requires Boot Camp and/or rEFIt (which effectively provide PC BIOS emulation over EFI). The problem doesn’t change for your C2050, though. If there is no EFI firmware, I don’t believe it can work.

So are you saying that even a dual boot of linux/windows wouldn’t solve the issue because it comes down to EFI? My best (only?) solution is to put it in a PC? Thanks for the reply.

So are you saying that even a dual boot of linux/windows wouldn’t solve the issue because it comes down to EFI? My best (only?) solution is to put it in a PC? Thanks for the reply.

I believe that is the case, yes.

I believe that is the case, yes.

I am using the C1060 on the Mac Pro and it works fine. However the issue ccsand has is that he wants to run the C2050 on MacOSX. I installed Centos on my MacPro and was able to compile my code on the Tesla C1060.

I am using the C1060 on the Mac Pro and it works fine. However the issue ccsand has is that he wants to run the C2050 on MacOSX. I installed Centos on my MacPro and was able to compile my code on the Tesla C1060.