CUDA problem with eGPU

I am running a Windows 10 laptop with a 2080ti attached to it as eGPU. I installed CUDA and Visual Studio 2019. I compiled all the CUDA sample code applications with no issues. However, when I run any of the executables that need a GUI/graphics I get:

C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\CUDA Samples\v11.3\bin\win64\Debug>simpleGL.exe
simpleGL (VBO) starting…
GPU Device 0: “Turing” with compute capability 7.5
CUDA error at C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\CUDA Samples\v11.3\2_Graphics\simpleGL\simpleGL.cu:421 code=304(cudaErrorOperatingSystem) “cudaGraphicsGLRegisterBuffer(vbo_res, *vbo, vbo_res_flags)”

C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\CUDA Samples\v11.3\bin\win64\Debug>nbody.exe

Compute 7.5 CUDA device: [NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti]
CUDA error at C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\CUDA Samples\v11.3\5_Simulations\nbody\bodysystemcuda_impl.h:188 code=304(cudaErrorOperatingSystem) “cudaGraphicsGLRegisterBuffer(&m_pGRes[i], m_pbo[i], cudaGraphicsMapFlagsNone)”

No issues at all with the non graphical/GUI executables, however:

C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\CUDA Samples\v11.3\bin\win64\Debug>vectorAdd.exe
[Vector addition of 50000 elements]
Copy input data from the host memory to the CUDA device
CUDA kernel launch with 196 blocks of 256 threads
Copy output data from the CUDA device to the host memory
Test PASSED
Done

C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\CUDA Samples\v11.3\bin\win64\Debug>matrixMul.exe
[Matrix Multiply Using CUDA] - Starting...
GPU Device 0: "Turing" with compute capability 7.5
MatrixA(320,320), MatrixB(640,320)
Computing result using CUDA Kernel...
done
Performance= 138.48 GFlop/s, Time= 0.947 msec, Size= 131072000 Ops, WorkgroupSize= 1024 threads/block
Checking computed result for correctness: Result = PASS

C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\CUDA Samples\v11.3\bin\win64\Debug>deviceQuery.exe
Detected 1 CUDA Capable device(s)
Device 0: "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti"
Result = PASS

Anything I am missing or doing wrong?

Does that problem only appear with these samples or also with 3rd party apps, eg OctaneBench

Not sure if 344 is a good score, but everything ran fine in Octane… recent games also run fine with no problems.