Cuda program run error: NVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidiactl (No such file or

Hi,

I am trying to run my very simple test program but is having problems with this.

Here’s the error that I’ve been getting:

NVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidiactl (No such file or directory).

Any help will be much appreciated!

Did you start X?

Have you installed the nvidia drivers?

I think you have to run nvidia-xconfig as root. This will fix the problem.

If you’re running from the console (runlevel 3), look at the 2.1 release notes and run the script contained therein to generate the /dev/nvidia* entries.

Where can i find the 2.1 release notes?

edit: found them.

Thanks for the responses!

I reinstalled the Nvidia driver and then rebooted the computer…now my Nvidia card doesn’t work anymore. I am having to use my backup ati card…please help!

What does “my Nvidia card doesn’t work anymore” mean exactly? Please generate and attach an nvidia-bug-report.log while the problem is present.

the nvidia-ug-report.log is attached in a word format.

Currently we are running a ATI card in the primary slot on our motherboard, and a Nvidia 9800 GX2 in our secondary slot.

Previously we were running the Nvidia card in the primary slot and the monitor would be connected to the GX2 and output would be fine.

THen when we reinstalled NVidia-Linux-x86_64-180.22-pkg2.run SDK after reboot, the montor failed to display anything.

Now we have the ATI card in the primary slot, outputting to our monitor and the GX2 in the secondary slot.

We are wondering how can we use CUDA with the GX2 in the secondary pci-e 2.0 slot? Or any suggestion on how we should configure the hardware.

we are also wondering if there is a protocol to verify that CUDA is working properly/ the nvidia GX2 card is able to do GP-GPU functions.

Sorry that’s a lot, i hope it something simple to fix.
nvidia_bug_report.doc (361 KB)

I think my computer just got confused by reinstalling the driver. So I wiped everything out and reinstalled my OS, cuda & my nvidia card is working now. Thanks!