cuda unified memory: memory transfer behaviour

This is my question from [url]pointers - cuda unified memory: memory transfer behaviour - Stack Overflow

Though there was an answer posted to that question even he wasn’t entirely sure about the assumptions made in his reply and posed that maybe I should ask on here also.

QUESTION

I am learning cuda, but currently don’t access to a cuda device yet and am curious about some unified memory behaviour. As far as i understood, the unified memory functionality, transfers data from host to device on a need to know basis. So if the cpu calls some data 100 times, that is on the gpu, it transfers the data only during the first attempt and clears that memory space on the gpu. (is my interpretation correct so far?)

1 Assuming this, is there some behaviour that, if the programmatic structure meant to fit on the gpu is too large for the device memory, will the UM exchange some recently accessed data structures to make space for the next ones needed to complete to computation or does this still have to be achieved manually?

2 Additionally I would be grateful if you could clarify something else related to the memory transfer behaviour. It seems obvious that data would be transferred back on fro upon access of the actual data, but what about accessing the pointer? for example if I had 2 arrays of the same UM pointers (the data in the pointer is currently on the gpu and the following code is executed from the cpu) and were to slice the first array, maybe to delete an element, would the iterating step over the pointers being placed into a new array so access the data to do a cudamem transfer? surely not.
didn’t really understand the stackoverflow answer to this last question

cross posting:

[url]pointers - cuda unified memory: memory transfer behaviour - Stack Overflow