"cudafe.exe has stopped working" - vs2008

Hi there!

I’m trying to compile my CUDA program in visual studio 2008 under windows vista and CUDA 2.1 version, however when I try to build my solution it throws me a error report stating that the “cudafe.exe has stopped working”. My program is a cppIntegration rename of the cppIntegration project, so it should allow to integrate cuda and cpp files, howeever when I have an instruction that call a cpp constructor object it gives this error.

I’m using the CUDA 2.1 rule file, with the following compile instructions: “C:\CUDA\bin\nvcc.exe” -ccbin “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin” -O2 -arch compute_10 -code sm_10 --host-compilation C++ -c -m 32 -o “Release\tese.obj” -odir “Release” -ext none -int none “c:\Users\PedroBoavida\AppData\Local\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA CUDA SDK\projects\tese\tese.cu”

Is this a common error to this development enviroment? Is there some way around it?

I was trying to debug this error, and I open the .bat file created when compiling in visual studio and it show me the command line used to compile the code.

The command line is the following:

“C:\Users\PedroBoavida\AppData\Local\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA CUDA SDK\projects
tese\Release>“C:\CUDA\bin\nvcc.exe” -ccbin “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual S
tudio 9.0\VC\bin” -I"C:\CUDA\include” -I"C:\Users\PedroBoavida\AppData\Local\NVI
DIA Corporation\NVIDIA CUDA SDK\projects\tese" -I"C:\Users\PedroBoavida\AppData
Local\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA CUDA SDK\common\inc" -O2 -arch compute_10 -code
sm_10 --host-compilation C++ -c -m 32 -o “Release\tese.obj” -odir “Release” -ext
none -int none “c:\Users\PedroBoavida\AppData\Local\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA
CUDA SDK\projects\tese\tese.cu”
tese.cu
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\INCLUDE\xutility(420): internal
error: assertion failed: lower_expr: bad kind (D:/Bld/rel/gpgpu/toolkit/r2.1/com
piler/edg/EDG_3.9/src/lower_il.c, line 12023)

1 catastrophic error detected in the compilation of “C:\Users\PEDROB~1\AppData\L
ocal\Temp/tmpxft_0000665c_00000000-6_tese.cpp1.ii”.
Compilation aborted.

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application’s support team for more information."

Where is the error? In my code? In cudafe code? In nvcc…?

Thanks in advanced!

I had the same error. It happened to me when I started using C++ templates.
This is supposed to be OK in CUDA 2.1, so I tried it out on some existing code
which always compiled fine. When I did

#include

in a .cu file, it was still OK. But as soon as I defined a vector variable,
I got the cudafe.exe crash.

std::vector V; // <- crashes cudafe.exe

I couldn’t switch to vs2008 from vs2005 with Cuda2.1 because of this problem. I use Vista also and I don’t know if it exists on XP as well.

Hi Guys,

How did this problem get fixed? Does anyone else know how to get round this problem?