cudaLaunch returned status 4: unspecified launch failure

Hi,

I am porting an aeroacoustics code that is using MPI/OpenMP/Accelerator to use MPI/OpenMP/CUDA Fortran. To simplify the process, I am using the CUF kernel loop directive in the following subroutine:

subroutine cuda_surfaces (surface_accel,surf_x_ip,surf_x_im,surf_y_jp,surf_y_jm)

use accel
use cudafor

double precision, dimension (0:i_max_accel+1,0:j_max_accel+1,4), intent (in), device :: surface_accel
double precision, dimension (0:i_max_accel+1,0:j_max_accel+1), intent (out), device :: surf_x_ip,surf_x_im,surf_y_jp,surf_y_jm

integer :: i,j

!$cuf kernel do(2) <<< (*,*), (n_cores_smp,nu_smps_gpu) >>>
do j=0,j_max_accel+1
   do i=0,i_max_accel+1  !line 2161:cudaLaunch returned status 4
      surf_x_ip(i,j)=surface_accel(i,j,1)
      surf_x_im(i,j)=surface_accel(i,j,2)
      surf_y_jp(i,j)=surface_accel(i,j,3)
      surf_y_jm(i,j)=surface_accel(i,j,4)
   end do
end do

end subroutine cuda_surfaces

where the accel module is given by:

module accel

integer, parameter :: n_cores_smp=32
integer, parameter :: nu_smps_gpu=14
integer, parameter :: i_max_accel=2336
integer, parameter :: j_max_accel=1624

end module accel

Subroutine cuda_surfaces is called by subroutine euler_solver, where the related parts are:

subroutine euler_solver (....)
use accel
use cudafor
double precision, dimension (0:i_max_accel+1,0:j_max_accel+1,4) :: surface_host
double precision, dimension (0:i_max_accel+1,0:j_max_accel+1,4), device :: surface_accel
double precision, dimension (0:i_max_accel+1,0:j_max_accel+1), device :: surf_x_ip,surf_x_im,surf_y_jp,surf_y_jm,vol
call mpi_barrier (mpi_comm_world,ierr)
!setting the number of threads for the following openmp parallel region equal to the number of gpus
call omp_set_num_threads(n_threads_gpus)
!$omp parallel, private (surface_accel,surf_x_ip,surf_x_im,surf_y_jp,surf_y_jm)
devnum=omp_get_thread_num()
istat=cudaSetDevice(devnum)
!$omp do
do l_block=1,l_max_block !block size is i_max_accel*j_max_accel
   surface_accel=surface_host
   call cuda_surfaces  (surface_accel,surf_x_ip,surf_x_im,surf_y_jp,surf_y_jm)
end do
!$omp end do
!$omp end parallel
call mpi_barrier (mpi_comm_world,ierr)

return

end subroutine euler_solver

When I try to run the code, I get the following error message:

line 2161: cudaLaunch returned status 4: unspecified launch failure

where line 2161 is shown commented in subroutine cuda_surfaces and corresponds to the innermost loop. The compilation message related to this subroutine is:

cuda_surfaces:
   2161, CUDA kernel generated
       2161, !$cuf kernel do <<< (*,*), (32,14) >>>

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Roberto

Hi Roberto,

A “cudaLaunch returned status 4: unspecified launch failure” typically means that the kernel abnormally aborted during execution. I tried to reproduce your error with a simple example, but was unable. Hence, my guess is that the error has to do with how you are using OpenMP. While OpenMP and CUDA Fortran work together, it can be a bit tricky getting the data allocation on the device correct. I’d like you try two things:

1. Compile without OpenMP. If it works, then we know it’s an OpenMP issue.
  2. Change your shared device arrays to be allocatable and then allocate them after you have entered the OpenMP region and after you have called cudaSetDevice.

If neither of these suggestions help, can you please put together a reproducing example and send it to PGI Customer Support (trs@pgroup.com)? Ask them to forward it to me.

Thanks,
Mat

Hi Mat,

Sorry for the delayed response. Regarding suggestion (1), when the code is compiled without OpenMP, it runs without errors showing that is an OpenMP problem. So I implemented suggestion (2), allocating the private device arrays only after entering the parallel OpenMP region and calling cudaSetDevice. The result was also an execution without errors.

Thanks!

Roberto