cudaMallocPitch returns wrong pitch

Hi all,

I am using cudaMallocPitch along with cudaMemcopy2D to get an array to the GPU. I can get the array onto the GPU and back off with success. The following code is what I use to do this:

cudaMallocPitch((REAL**)&d_phi0, &pitch, (size_t)(sxsizeof(REAL)), sy);
cudaMemcpy2D( d_phi0, pitch, &phi.Array[0][0][0], (size_t)(sx
sizeof(REAL)), sxsizeof(REAL),sy, cudaMemcpyHostToDevice);
cudaMemcpy2D( &h_phi.Array[0][0], (size_t)(sx
sizeof(REAL)), d_phi0, pitch, sx*sizeof(REAL), sy, cudaMemcpyDeviceToHost);

My problem is in trying to index the array. As I understand from reading the programing guide, pitch is the length in x direction(number of columns). To get to the first element in the second row of the array I would do the following.

d_phi0[pitch]=BLAH;

This sounds easy, however the pitch returned by cudaMallocPitch is wrong. to get the first element of the second row I must use
d_phi0[pitch/8]=BLAH;

The real pitch in my case is pitch/8. What gives? The pitch returned to me is 512. The size of my array in the x direction is 42. pitch/8 corresponds to 64(which seems more reasonable than 512 anyway considereing my array size).

Thank you very much in advance.

Full Code (condensed):
const int sx = 42;
const int sy = 21;

REAL* d_phi0 = NULL, *d_phi1=NULL, *d_phi2=NULL;
size_t pitch = NULL;

//cudaInitializeArrays(phi, d_phi0, d_phi1, d_phi2, pitch);
cudaMallocPitch((REAL**)&d_phi0, &pitch, (size_t)(sx*sizeof(REAL)), sy);
cudaMallocPitch((REAL**)&d_phi1, &pitch, (size_t)(sx*sizeof(REAL)), sy);
cudaMallocPitch((REAL**)&d_phi2, &pitch, (size_t)(sx*sizeof(REAL)), sy);

cudaMemcpy2D( d_phi0, pitch, &phi.Array[0][0][0], (size_t)(sx*sizeof(REAL)), sx*sizeof(REAL),sy, cudaMemcpyHostToDevice);
cudaMemcpy2D( d_phi1, pitch, &phi.Array[1][0][0], (size_t)(sx*sizeof(REAL)), sx*sizeof(REAL),sy, cudaMemcpyHostToDevice);
cudaMemcpy2D( d_phi2, pitch, &phi.Array[2][0][0], (size_t)(sx*sizeof(REAL)), sx*sizeof(REAL),sy, cudaMemcpyHostToDevice);

phi.CloseARRAY3D();						// close phi because it isnt needed
h_phi.declareArray2D(sx,sy);			// open new 2D array for output

dim3 dimBlock(BLOCKSIZE, BLOCKSIZE);
    dim3 dimGrid(sx/dimBlock.x, sy/dimBlock.y);

timeStep<<<dimGrid, dimBlock>>>(d_phi0, d_phi1, d_phi2, pitch, sx, sy, K.k); // this function checks the indexing, for now

cudaMemcpy2D( &h_phi.Array[0][0], (size_t)(sx*sizeof(REAL)), d_phi2,  pitch, sx*sizeof(REAL), sy, cudaMemcpyDeviceToHost);	
writeArray2TextFast("./output/output1.txt", h_phi.Array, sx, sy);

The pitch is in bytes, not in the number of elements, because cudaMallocPitch() has no idea what you intend to use the memory for and thus doesn’t know the element size to divide by. So you either need to do the division yourself as you found out, or use char* arithmetic as shown in the Programming Guide.

That makes a lot of sense… Thanks for the answer and the quick response. Its obvious to me now, but that’s what hindsight does.