cuFFT 1d inverse transform unexpected results

I’m trying to implement Matlab’s ifft() function. I’m not a mathematician and probably doing something wrong. This is my code (I omitted error checks for brevity):

void ifft(cufftComplex* d_input, int inputSize, float** d_output, int& outputSize, cudaStream_t stream) {
	constexpr int batchSize = 1;
	outputSize = (inputSize - 1) * 2;

cudaMalloc(reinterpret_cast<void**>(d_output), sizeof(float) * outputSize);

cufftHandle plan;
	cufftCreate(&plan);
	cufftPlan1d(&plan, inputSize, CUFFT_C2R, batchSize);
	cufftSetStream(plan, stream);
	cufftExecC2R(plan, d_input, *d_output);

cufftDestroy(plan);
}

According to the cuFFT Data Layout documentation, in the case of C2R 1d transform and input data size of x/2+1 the output data size should be x. But the computed values I get are of the same size (padded with zeros) and are entirely different than I expected.
For example, I expect that the vector<complex<float>> { {16.f, 0.f}, {2.12132f, 5.12132f}, {-3.f, 5.f}, {-2.12132f, -0.87868f}, {-2.f, 0.f} } will be inverse transformed to vector<float> { 1, 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 4, 5 } but getting entirely different results.

I already implemented the R2C 1d FFT transform and got the above (correct) results, but cannot find a way how to make an inverse transform.

generally speaking, when you do an inverse transform, you need to divide by the size of the transform to get comparable results to other methods, or restoration of the “original” data. This is covered in the cufft manual.

Otherwise, if you’re still having trouble I suggest providing a complete example, showing your input data, forward transform, inverse transform, and output data.

Hello @Robert_Crovella,
This is the full code example:

#include <cuda_runtime.h>
#include <complex>
#include <cufft.h>
#include <vector>

void fft(float* d_input, int inputSize, cufftComplex** d_output, int& outputSize, cudaStream_t stream)
{
	outputSize = inputSize / 2 + 1;

cudaMalloc(reinterpret_cast<void**>(d_output), sizeof(std::complex<float>) * outputSize);

cufftHandle plan;
	cufftCreate(&plan);
	cufftPlan1d(&plan, inputSize, CUFFT_R2C, batchSize);
	cufftExecR2C(plan, d_input, *d_output);

cufftDestroy(plan);
}

void ifft(cufftComplex* d_input, int inputSize, float** d_output, int& outputSize, cudaStream_t stream)
{

cufftHandle plan;
	cufftCreate(&plan);
	cufftPlan1d(&plan, inputSize, CUFFT_C2R, batchSize);
	cufftExecC2R(plan, d_input, *d_output);

cufftDestroy(plan);
}

int main() {
	cudaStream_t stream = nullptr;
	cudaStreamCreateWithFlags(&stream, cudaStreamNonBlocking);

constexpr int input_length = 5;
	float h_input[input_length]{ 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 };

std::printf("Input array:\n");
    for (auto& i : h_input) {
        std::printf("%f\n", i);
    }
    std::printf("=====\n");

float* d_input = nullptr;
	auto error = cudaMalloc(reinterpret_cast<void**>(&d_input), sizeof(float) * input_length);
	error = cudaMemcpyAsync(d_input, h_input, sizeof(float) * input_length, cudaMemcpyHostToDevice, stream);

cufftComplex* d_fft_output = nullptr;
	int fft_output_size = 0;

// FFT
	fft(d_input, input_length, &d_fft_output, fft_output_size, stream);

std::vector<cufftComplex> h_fft_output(fft_output_size);
	cudaMemcpyAsync(h_fft_output.data(), d_fft_output, sizeof(cufftComplex) * fft_output_size,
		cudaMemcpyDeviceToHost, stream);

std::printf("FFT output:\n");
	for (auto& i : h_fft_output) {
		std::printf("%f + %fj\n", i.x, i.y);
	}

float* d_ifft_output = nullptr;
	int ifft_output_size = 0;

//IFFT
	ifft(d_fft_output, fft_output_size, &d_ifft_output, ifft_output_size, stream);

float h_ifft[input_length];

cudaMemcpyAsync(h_ifft, d_ifft_output, sizeof(float) * ifft_output_size,
		cudaMemcpyDeviceToHost, stream);

cudaStreamSynchronize(stream);

std::printf("IFFT output:\n");
	for (auto& i : h_ifft) {
	    std::printf("%f\n", i);
	}

cudaFree(d_input);
	cudaFree(d_fft_output);
	cudaFree(d_ifft_output);

cudaStreamDestroy(stream);
	cudaDeviceReset();

return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

It produces the following output:

Input array:
=====
FFT output:
15.000000 + 0.000000j
-2.500000 + 3.440955j
-2.500000 + 0.812299j
=====
IFFT output:
=====

At the same time, in Matlab, I get the following results:

X = [1 2 3 4 5];
Y = fft(X)

Y = 1×5 complex
  15.0000 + 0.0000i  -2.5000 + 3.4410i  -2.5000 + 0.8123i  -2.5000 - 0.8123i  -2.5000 - 3.4410i

ifft(Y)

ans = 1×5
     1     2     3     4     5

FFT real to complex output transform is correct (array of non-redundant complex elements).

I also tried to inverse transform the full (restored) complex number array (with redundant numbers), i.e. vector<cufftComplex> { {15.f, 0.f}, {-2.5f, 3.441f}, {-2.5f, 0.8123f}, {-2.5f, -0.8123f}, {-2.5f, -3.441f} } (also changed the outputSize to be equal to inputSize inside the ifft() function, and have got [5,10,15,20,25]. It appears, from your answer, that now I need to divide this result by the size of the transform :).

But would it be possible somehow to get the correct inverse transform data from an array of non-redundant complex elements without redundant data restoration? Is there some built-in functionality in cuFFT? Or if there isn’t, it appears that according to your answer on StackOverflow it would be better for me to use C2C in fft().

1. The length of the forward FFT and inverse FFT (that you ask for in the plans) should be the same. Are they ? (hint: they are not).

2. Your arithmetic for computing the various lengths in ifft is definitely messed up. I’m not going to try and work out arithmetic for you, but if you think your calculation of the output length in ifft should give you 5 when your input length is 3, you are mistaken. You’ll need to study integer arithmetic in c or c++. I simply would not calculate those on the fly like you are doing. I would establish a global length of 5, pass it where it is needed, and don’t get confused between data length and FFT length.

Anyhow, if I make these changes, I get the expected output:

void ifft(cufftComplex* d_input, int inputSize, float** d_output, int& outputSize, cudaStream_t stream)
{
        inputSize = 5;  outputSize = 5;  // add this line

Note that the “expected output” is 5,10,15.20,25, because, as I already stated, to reproduce the original results you must divide each output item by the length of the transform. So if you divide each of those items by 5 you will get 1,2,3,4,5

Got it. My initial assumption was that if R2C removes redundant symmetrical elements, C2R will restore them. Now I understand that it was not correct. Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.