[CustomKernel] The Grinch 21.2.1 for Jetson TK1 / not developed

At the moment, I recommend 19.3.x series

i am running to another problem with this kernal, my wifi = AR5B22, and it can’t seems to able to find any AP…

and there is no audio… but I think it might has to do with the NVIDIA Kernel 3.10.40 Kernal as I flash back to the 3.10.40 stock and there is no audio device too…

Hi Santyago
Can I download the patches somewhere that you apply to the L4T R21.2 kernel? Thank you for your work!
Best Regards,
Marc

Echoing this, I would like to work with the new kernel but I can’t find out where to remove the RFkill bits and I need to build from source. Is there a known method to enable mini-PCI adapters with the “stock” kernel?

edit: nevermind, I’ll keep working with R19. Is there any info for getting to Grinch 19.3.8 with kernel source?

There might be an obvious reason for this, but when I do the

sudo tar xpf …/…/Tegra_Linux_Sample-Root-Filesystem_R21.2.0_armhf.tbz2 in the extract files step (after the cd Linux_for_Tegra/rootfs step), I get an error:

tar: …/…/Tegra_Linux_Sample-Root-Filesystem_R21.2.0_armhf.tbz2: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

I followed the example and use the exact code that is in the guide, unless there are some obvious steps that I must do first. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Is Tegra_Linux_Sample-Root-Filesystem_R21.2.0_armhf.tbz2 there? It seems to say no such file. From the “rootfs” directory, what is “ls -l …/…/Tegra_Linux_Sample-Root-Filesystem_R21.2.0_armhf.tbz2”?

You might have a point there. Haha. I thought it might be something obvious. I’m not at the computer with the files at the moment. The network has been acting a little screwy from where I work at, so I will try to download the files at home and bring them to work with me, that might help. Thanks! I will try that and see if it works.

I’m having network stability issues with the 3.10.40 kernel as most probably have, although it didn’t help much to set it to 100mbit for me.
However, when I have a device attached to USB3 I have no stability issues. Once I unplug the device my tests go back to being unstable. I have tried attaching a keyboard and a flash drive, both work.
It doesn’t make much sense, but maybe it can help to point in the direction of what is wrong.

Can anyone else verify this weird behaviour?

Edit:
I neglected to say that I have my devices connected via a powered USB3 HUB. I just tried with a device connected directly to the USB port, and it did it again. I’m baffled. Maybe it is some sort of concurrency issue in the kernel?

I haven’t tested this, but in the past I’ve looked at changes to the NIC driver between the time of when it worked with 3.10.24 and when it failed in 3.10.40. My conclusion is that the issue is not from the NIC driver itself. The closest I could come to figuring this out was that there is an interaction between the scheduler and the driver as the cause. It seems that some other drivers/modules may on rare occasion have the issue as well, but they don’t have the same watchdog timer and reports would differ. In the case of attaching something with USB3 connected, this actually fits with the idea of interactions with the scheduler being the problem. Just the way other drivers load and run and fit into scheduling can have an effect on the NIC’s driver and scheduling without changing the actual NIC driver code. It’s very difficult to validate the whole thing without testing every single patch one at a time from 3.10.24 to 3.10.40 and finding the particular code that gets in the way.

On the bright side, besides thinking your observation is likely on target, I have no doubt that nVidia is working on their next kernel release which doesn’t have the network issue…but only time will tell.

I think that I have good news…
Today I tried to flash the new R21.3 [url]https://developer.nvidia.com/linux-tegra-r213[/url]
Mainly because I was experiencing network instability in R21.2+grinch and in the release notes of R21.3 they said:
[1566598] Improved stability of Jetson TK1 on-board Ethernet

I tested to copy from the jetson to my computer an ubuntu iso and it worked well.

100% 582MB 38.8MB/s 00:15

ubuntu@tegra-ubuntu:~$ ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:

Speed: 1000Mb/s
Duplex: Full

I’m wondering if the 38MB/s can’t be increased. I checked with the ‘tegrastats’ binary while I was performing the copy that the cpu in charge of the copy was 100% (even putting online all the cores by hand)
RAM 184/1892MB (lfb 109x4MB) cpu [100%,0%,0%,0%]@-1 VDE 0 EDP limit 0

My point now is, the grinch kernel for R21.2 it’s compatible with R21.3? I supose the answer is no

What did you use for copying? Something like scp uses more CPU power (did you also max out the CPU clocks in addition to putting all cores online?) but e.g. wget should use very little CPU.

Also, if you are writing it to the disk, the disk is probably the bottleneck, not the network. With wget you can try something like this:

wget -O /dev/null http://server/path/to/file

With SCP you can try a more lightweight crypto:

scp -c blowfish server:/path/to/file /dev/null

Can you post the source of your kernel?

Maybe it’s related to The Grinch.
With Intel 7260 HMW and an external antenna I can connect, but pinging the router from my jetson gives 300+ ms (very unstable).

The only hint that I have to debug this problem is that the Tx-power given by running iwconfig is 0dBm and I did not manage to increase it. How does it compare with your iwconfig output?

ASUS n-10 nano (rtl8192cu) still not working…

Just flashed Grinch 21.2.1 Kernel on the device hoping that my ASUS n-10 nano migh work, somehow. The WiFi adapter is still not lighting up and most probably, still not working. Help wpuld be appreciated. Thank you.

Hi ,

Does this kernel support Marvell sd8897 ?

Hi,

Does this kernel support Marvell sd8897 device ?

hello, 21.2.x currently is not developed. Can I ask for unstick this thread and sticky 21.3.x thread ? thanks

I am able to install the following kernel

Linux tegra-ubuntu 3.10.40-gc017b03 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Feb 2 17:50:48 PST 2015 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linu

But unfortunately I am not able to load firewire1394 driver. Any one face the same problem

I have installed Linux for Tegra release 21.3 with the following kernel

Linux for Tegra release 21.3

Unfortunately, I am not able to load firewire1394 driver. Is someone face same problem

Hi, Does the Grinch have RAID1 support?