DC Jack For Jetson and powering Jetson TX2 with power bank

I was wondering where I could buy a DC Jack with pigtail wires at the other end for the Jetson TX2.

Also, I read online that the Jetson TX2 can be powered with 5.5-19.6V DC in. Can a power bank that supplies 12V 2A DC power the Jetson TX2? I read online that the Jetson never goes over 12.8W when training different neural nets, like AlexNet, etc. So 24W from a power bank should be enough, right?

This is the power bank I am looking at: https://www.amazon.com/XTPower-MP-10000-External-10000mAh-included/dp/B00935L44E

Thank you.

Hi aqjones,

Please refer to this topic for size of DC Jack on carrier board and so choose the wire correspondingly: [url]DC jack specs? (larger goal: powering the dev kit with a battery) - Jetson TX1 - NVIDIA Developer Forums

Regarding the power bank, it is available on the point of power number & output voltage.

Hello aqjones,

I open this conversation again because I want to use the same device as you, 12V 2A DC for TX2 (through J140 Board Carrier).
I’m wondering if you did this powering, and if so, is it working ?

Thanks for your advice and for your time !

By the way, I’m going to put the board on a drone, and plug it with a LiPo Battery 3S or 4S. Do you think I need a DC/DC adapter, even if the 3S delivers 12V (between atround 12.6V and 9.3V) ?

Nominally the 3S battery is fine, however depending on the voltage droop incurred from your motors, you may want to add a voltage regulator inline with the Jetson, or otherwise isolate the Jetson’s power source from the motor’s source. When the motors spin up it can cause the voltage to drop rapidly and lead to brownout condition, especially with larger motors, however you may be fine with a smaller drone.

The Jetson seems to be super sensitive to quick voltage fluctuation.
I have a 12V to 5V buck regulator that powers my 10" HDMI display.
Whenever I turn this converter on, the temporary power loss (presumably from inrush current) is enough for the Jetson to turn off.

I’m wondering whether to bridge the power input with a 1mF capacitor right at the power connector on the Jetson side … That’ll have less power loss than a boost converter trying to get the 3S LiPo up to 15V or so for stability.

Thank you for your answer dusty_nv and snarky,

As I understand, the TX2 consumes 15W max, so with 12V input it needs around 1,25 A max.
I’m going to use a LiPo 4S, with this DC/DC adapter : Pololu 12V, 2.2A Step-Down Voltage Regulator D24V22F12
Which is 12V/2.2A output with 36V max as input.

Besides, I’m using the DJI F550 (hexacopter), I hope the brownout condition is not going to be significant…

I let you know about my research, if you have any advice or idea, do not hesitate.
Thanks for your time !

Btw: I tried a 1 mF capacitor right across the power input connector, and it was not enough to solve the power-off problem when turning on my external devices.

It turns out that powering the Jetson off a switching power converter means that it’s susceptible to the power step response of that converter, which is generally kind-of crummy for most switching converters. (There’s a definite efficiency/performance trade-off there.)
Using a LiPo battery, with the switching power converter “floating” the LiPo through a diode, ends up working well. I just have to make sure to “float” the LiPo at a lower state of charge, so I don’t wear it too much at top charge. I aim for 3.95V per cell in this case. Once the rover is un-tethered, it will of course run on battery only.

If you’re using the NVIDIA carrier board, or a carrier board that has at least 18V input tolerance, you will probably be better off powering the board directly from your 4S, rather than having a DC/DC converter in between!

However, if you need the ability to turn off the power, in case of battery depletion, then some kind of switch in the middle is good. I use a custom PCB with a small microcontroller for monitoring voltage and some other things, and a big P-channel MOSFET for switching power on/off under micro control.