debug and release produce different results, why?

I was testing the sum reduction algorithm mentioned in NVIDIAReduction (page 35), and was confused by the fact that debug and release configurations produced different results. I set blockPerGrid=1000 and threadPerBlock=512, and expected kEff_block to be 1000*512=512000. Debug config gives me the correct result, while release leads to a strange 56000. External Image Could anyone help me with this? Thanks a lot in advance.

Device:

//++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

//				SHARED

//++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

__shared__ double kEff_shared[threadPerBlock];

//----------------------------------------------------------

__global__ void Test(double *kEff_device)

{

int globalThreadID;

int threadID;

//get in-block id

threadID=threadIdx.x;

//initialize shared memory

kEff_shared[threadID]=1.0;

__syncthreads();

if (threadPerBlock >= 512) { if (threadID < 256) { kEff_shared[threadID] += kEff_shared[threadID + 256]; } __syncthreads(); }

if (threadPerBlock >= 256) { if (threadID < 128) { kEff_shared[threadID] += kEff_shared[threadID + 128]; } __syncthreads(); }

if (threadPerBlock >= 128) { if (threadID < 64) { kEff_shared[threadID] += kEff_shared[threadID + 64]; } __syncthreads(); }

if (threadID < 32) {ReduceWarp(kEff_shared, threadID, threadPerBlock);}

__syncthreads();

if(threadID==0)

{

kEff_device[blockIdx.x]=kEff_shared[0];

}

}

__device__ void ReduceWarp(double data_shared[], int threadID, int blockSize)

{

if (blockSize >= 64) data_shared[threadID] += data_shared[threadID + 32];

if (blockSize >= 32) data_shared[threadID] += data_shared[threadID + 16];

if (blockSize >= 16) data_shared[threadID] += data_shared[threadID + 8];

if(blockSize >= 8) data_shared[threadID] += data_shared[threadID + 4];

if (blockSize >= 4) data_shared[threadID] += data_shared[threadID + 2];

if (blockSize >= 2) data_shared[threadID] += data_shared[threadID + 1];

}

Host:

HandleDeviceError(cudaMemcpy(kEff_host, kEff_device, blockPerGrid*sizeof(double), cudaMemcpyDeviceToHost));

for(int i=0;i<blockPerGrid;i++)

{

kEff_block+=kEff_host[i];

}

problem solved. it turns out there should be thread synchronizations in the warp reduction function. the online document needs to be modified.

If you are seeing this with CUDA 4.1, I would suggest filing a bug. Thank you for your help.

You are using a sample for ancient CUDA 1.1, where this happened to work. Since then Nvidia has noted that the [font=“Courier New”]shared[/font] declaration needs to be [font=“Courier New”]volatile[/font] as well, because it can be modified from outside of each thread’s view without synchronization (or you need to introduce synchronization, as you noted). Newer releases of the compiler rely on this.