debugging using gdb on windows

Hello all,

I am trying to debug using gdb on windows without any luck so far. I am compiling the program with ‘pgcc -g hello.c -o hello’ and starts the session with ‘gdb hello’. Gdb loads ok, but reports that no debugging symbols is found. I have tried this with pgi version 10.5 and 10.6 (gdb version 6.8 and 7.1), but same same.

Have I forgotten something here? I thought gdb format is supported?

I have set up my editor, Slickedit, to compile/build using the pgi compiler. Slickedit also support debugging via gdb, and hence it would be neat to get this working.

Any ideas?

Best regards,
Per-Aksel

Hi Per-Aksel,

I thought gdb format is supported?

We use standard DWARF debugging information. However on Windows, the DWARF symbols must be extracted into a separate “.dwf” file so is most likely why gdb cann’t find the debugging symbols. Having never used gdb on Windows, I don’t know of way to have gdb read this file.

Any reason why you can use the PGI Debugger PGDBG? It has a very nice GUI.

• Mat

Hi Mat,

Thanks! That was good information!

I am using pgdbg, but it would also be nice to be able to use the internal gdb support of Slickedit as well for fast class/function testing.

Another thing. When I use pgdbg I run into a problem. If I have loaded hello.exe into pgdbg (pgdbg hello) and do some debugging, and then detaches the target, pgdbg still have a lock on the file. This means I cannot compile and link without exiting pgdbg. Of course if I exit pgdbg and restart on the command line everything is ok, but it would be nice to retain the windows and just start a new session when still inside pgdbg.

I started a debug session with hello.exe, detached, and tried to load another app to debug. This resulted in a pgdbg crash (version 10.6).

Best regards,
Per-Aksel

I have filed a problem report on the “crash with second attach” issue you reported. If you want to be notified when the status of that issue changes, send email to trs@pgroup.com and ask to be added to the notify list for TPR 15105.

thanks
–Don