Dedicated NVIDIA 1080Ti for Linux Mint 19.1 Machine Learning with No Xorg, Cinnamon, and other Proce...

I have two Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon computers, both with machine-learning dedicated 1080Ti GPUs installed. The first computer I built about a year ago is running great with the latest version 430.26 driver & CUDA 10.2 installed, and I get “No running processes found” in nvidia-smi. That’s good, no wasted memory, as display graphics is being provided by the on-board Intel UHD630 graphics processor.

The second computer is the same setup, drivers, & CUDA, etc. However, nvidia-smi reports a “usr/lib/xorg/Xorg” process using 141MiB, a “cinnamon” process using 36MiB, and a “…uest-channel-token=10806460779100703040” process using 55MiB. I’d like to boot-up without these processes, and never run them.

I vaguely remember setting-up the original computer to get the “No running processes found” and would like the same for the second computer. I can’t remember or find the details, can anyone help?
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (1.07 MB)

Probably the bios of the second box has disabled the igpu when you plugged the nvidia card.
Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting .gz file to your post. Hovering the mouse over an existing post of yours will reveal a paperclip icon.
[url]https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1043347/announcements/attaching-files-to-forum-topics-posts/[/url]

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz attached to first post.

That’s quite the report! Is there a roadmap?

I’m thinking maybe I altered the “/etc/X11/xorg.conf” file on the original computer, will look into it.

Try this:
[url]ubuntu 18.04+headless_390+intel iGPU after prime-select intel lost contact to GeFORCE 1050ti - Linux - NVIDIA Developer Forums

generix, thanks for the link and your help. Modifications/changes suggested in the link did not work for me.

What did work is using the xorg.conf file from my original computer, see attached file for “Section” indents:

Section “Device”
Identifier “intel”
Driver “intel”
BusID “PCI:0:2:0”
EndSection

Section “Screen”
Identifier “intel”
Device “intel”
EndSection

I now get “No running processes found” in nvidia-smi on the second computer.

The memory usage is a residual “2MiB / 11178MiB”, whereas the original computer is “0MiB / 11178MiB”.
Wonder what is responsible for the 2MiB? Not a big deal I guess.
xorg.conf.txt (159 Bytes)

Thank you so much for the indeed, incredible concept to share with. I do admire the effort and will continue to learn from these forums.