DeepStream Test3 Running pipeline on Different GPU

Hi,

When running deepstream-test3, I want to override the gpu-id configs for pgie
and all gstreamer elements that utilize the GPU. On a multi-gpu server, after setting the gpu-id to 1, I noticed that there was still a bit of utilization on gpu-id=0.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I am assuming that this is occurring because input frame buffer is attached to gpu-id=0. I noticed that this slows down the inference pipeline by 14 seconds when running inference on four 5306 frame videos. Is there a way to make it so that every single operation performed on the GPU placed on the same device (that is not gpu-id=0)?

FYI the use case is as follows:

# --gpu 1 (override gstreamer gpu-id settings from config 
# such as pgie / sgie and replace with this value)
python3 deepstream_test_4.py --gpu 1 

Gstreamer element gpu-id property is being overriden as follows:

element.set_property("gpu-id", 1) # Override existing gpu-id

What was done

Set gstreamer elements gpu-id to 1.
Result: there still exists some gpu utilization in gpu-id = 0

Goal

Ensure that all gpu resource utilization is container to a single gpu card.

DeepStream Environment Specifications

• Hardware Platform (Jetson / GPU) : dGPU
• DeepStream Version : 5.1
• TensorRT Version : 7.2.2.1
• NVIDIA GPU Driver Version (valid for GPU only) : 470.42.01

Thank you.

Can you share the sample and config files you used to repro the issue you mentioned?

Can you share the sample and config files you used to repro the issue you mentioned?

I have attached the code needed to reproduce the issue. gpu_reproduction.py (15.3 KB). Please place the python script in the same location as deepstream_test_3.py.

FYI: The config file is identical to the one used in deepstream_test_3.py: dstest3_pgie_config.txt

I ran the script with the following configuration:

python3 gpu_reproduction.py -i file:///opt/nvidia/deepstream/deepstream-5.1/samples/streams/sample_qHD.h264 -g 1

I get the following utilization output from nvidia-smi:

You can not set gpu-id directly for source_bin. please refer to function decodebin_child_added in sources/apps/apps-common/src/deepstream_source_bin.c for how to set gpu-id for dGPU.

1 Like

You can not set gpu-id directly for source_bin. please refer to function decodebin_child_added in sources/apps/apps-common/src/deepstream_source_bin.c for how to set gpu-id for dGPU.

Thank you for the helpful response. I took a look at the function decodebin_child_added and managed to get the problem resolved.

For those who may come across similar use case, I will leave my basic approach below. Feel free to modify to suit your specific design / use case.

def decodebin_child_added(child_proxy,Object,name,user_data):
    print("Decodebin child added:", name, "\n")
    try: 
        # feel free to receive gpu id as input variable elsewhere 
        gpu_id = 1
        # set gpu-id if it exists
        Object.set_property('gpu-id', gpu_id) 
    except: 
        # current Gstreamer element does not have property "gpu-id"
        # Feel free to do some logging for debugging purposes 
        pass

if(name.find("decodebin") != -1):
        Object.connect("child-added",decodebin_child_added,user_data)

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.