/dev/log: Connection refused after boot, but only on one system

I have two systems running NVIDIA jetpack 5.0.2, based on Ubuntu 20.04. /etc and /boot are identical on both systems. On the first system, after boot, if I try to run logger I get an error /dev/log: Connection refused. If I run systemctl restart systemd-journald-dev-log.socket then it works fine until the next reboot. On the second system, logger works reliably every time.

I’ve run systemd-analyze plot and there are some differences between the two systems:

• on the first system: systemd-journald-dev-log.socket seems to run for only a short time
  • on the first system: rsyslog.service seems to start much much later, right after systemd-journald-dev-log.socket ends
  • on the first system: dev-hugepages.mount exists

What can I look at to understand the issue?

What is the status of “/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-journald-dev-log.socket” in the beginning when this error happened?

Sorry I’m not sure I understand your question. The problem happens on boot.

You said you can make it back to work with restarting “systemd-journald-dev-log.socket”. So, what is the status of this service in the first time after boot up? It is possible that it fails at boot.

You can use journalctl to check the status of the systemd service status and it will tell us whether there is error or not.

I will attempt to reproduce the error (its is intermittent) and then provide this info

It turned out a had a cyclic dependancy during boot which I was able to solve. Thanks anyway

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.