Device running but cannot access it via serial or network

I flashed the latest L4T sample rootfs + BSP + Orbitty carrier board BSP to my TX2 (note: without using JetPack), which completed successfully. I attached the device to my host with a micro-USB cable and my host sees the L4T-README mass storage device, the virtual serial device, and the virtual network adapter it provides.

I can ping the TX2 at 192.168.55.1, and I can ping it at the IP address it receives from my network DHCP server. In both cases the TX2 is responsive.

However port 22 is closed on both interfaces. And the serial console shows nothing, so I cannot log in that way either.

Is there an additional step I need to do when I flash this way to get SSH and serial console access?

1 Like

Perhaps it is in oem-config but I can’t see it. If I attach an HDMI cable, I see the Linux boot messages and the last one says:

A start job is running for End-user configuration after initial OEM installation

It is configured with the default serial device:

nv-oem-config-uart-port=ttyS0

Is it possible this is not correct?

When I reboot with the display attached I at least have the option to configure it with the GUI.

According to the Orbitty user’s guide, /dev/ttyS0 is on the UART0 interface (expansion pins 3 and 4). And indeed I do have oem-config pop up if I connect to it.

ssh will not work if you don’t configure user account during the first boot.

I am not sure what is the case on Orbitty board, but on devkit, during the first boot, the gui would show up and give you guidance to configure it.

We also provide headless method. You can use console tool on host machine to open ttyACM0 if micro usb is connecting to jetson.

Thanks WayneWWW but the problem was the headless config tool was not configured to talk with the right serial device.

The correct device is ttyGS0 not ttyS0. This is probably something Orbitty should document.

1 Like