[DEVKIT] Jetson Nano doesn't start GUI Linux

Hello,

I have Jetson Nano Devkit B01. I used SDK Manager to prepare the system then I flashed this system via USB and everything was fine. After I try to prepare the system based on: How to build NVIDIA Jetson Nano kernel - RidgeRun Developer Connection.
I used device tree blob: tegra210-p3448-0002-p3449-0000-b00.dtb. I have problem with use patch from guide, terminal receive:
patching file rootfs/opt/nvidia/l4t-bootloader-config/nv-l4t-bootloader-config.sh
Hunk #1 FAILED at 123.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED – saving rejects to file rootfs/opt/nvidia/l4t-bootloader-config/nv-l4t-bootloader-config.sh.rej
I didn’t resolve it because it will be a problem when I would like to change the device tree.
After flashing (logs: Flash_log_sh.txt (14.2 KB))I can prepare an account on Linux (GUI on HDMI display) I made them. After this screen I see only logs on this display - Linux GUI doesn’t start. After every boot, I see the Nvidia logo then only logs from the boot.
Logs from uart (from uart)boot_log.txt (22.1 KB)
Could you know what I do wrong?

Why not just use latest jetpack? The page you shared here is for jetpack4.3 and this problem no longer exists in some newer software release.

Thanks for answer.
I tried use newer release - Jetpack 4.6 but effect is similar. As previous I can create user in GUI on display connected via HDMI but after it standard gui linux didn’t start.
In boot log I see error:
[ 9.529749] device-mapper: table: 253:0: thin-pool: unknown target type
[ 9.538294] device-mapper: ioctl: error adding target to table
[ 12.028550] device-mapper: table: 253:0: thin-pool: unknown target type
[ 12.037550] device-mapper: ioctl: error adding target to table
I can’t resolve it. Could it be that this is why the Linux GUI is not starting?
Log from flashing: Flash_log_sh_Jetpack_4_6.txt (15.0 KB)
Log from boot system: boot_log_jetpack_4_6.txt (22.7 KB)

The log you shared does not help.

After you enter the console, dump the log with “dmesg > kernel_log.txt”. That is the kernel log I need to check.

Also, what did you change here? You re-compile the kernel?

I didn’t change anything. On the first step I would like to have works fine system then I can introduce modification.
Dumped logs: dsmeg_kernel_log.txt (1.2 KB)

Then why did you share this page in comment #1? The title just said “Building the kernel from source”.

https://developer.ridgerun.com/wiki/index.php?title=Jetson_Nano/Development/Building_the_Kernel_from_Source

Is your latest log just coming out from a board flashed with sdkmanager?

I prepared files based on page in comment #1. In this page is information how to flash jetson nano in terminal (but SDK manager must be installed). I flashed system via USB. Do you recommend another tutorial for prepare system, which we can modify (for example modify divers and modify device tree)?

I am not sure where to start. It is a long story.

If you just flash with sdkmanager, you should see desktop GUI. That is the first thing we should confirm.

And please be aware that “didn’t change anything” means you just flash with sdkmanager and that’s all. If you rebuild a kernel or device tree, it means you changed something.

Thus, please do reply my question: Are you changing anything on your board with the log you just shared? Yes or no?

I mean, I don’t change anything else except what is in page in comment #1. So I rebuild kernel and dtb. referring to your question: Yes.

1. To you current problem, probably your kernel name is not matched to /lib/modules/… So the gpu driver is not loaded. You can confirm it by using command “lsmod”. If it is empty, then it matches to what I am saying.

2. You should get more familiar with the flash tool and the official document to build kernel.
    Welcome — Jetson Linux<br/>Developer Guide 34.1 documentation
    https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/l4t/index.html#page/Tegra%20Linux%20Driver%20Package%20Development%20Guide/kernel_custom.html#

According to point 1. you are right, lsmod is empty. I will try use your document. Thank you for your help.

You might want to look at this post, but concentrate on the part about CONFIG_LOCALVERSION and module search path:
https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/jetson-nano-board-setup/163668/6
(this probably explains why modules fail to load with a custom kernel, which in turn is why the GUI could not load)

1 Like