DGX-1 using PCIe only instead of NVLink

Hi,

as part of my thesis on on-node GPU interconnects for Deep Learning I have been looking for a possibility to disable the NVLink connection to compare bandwidth and latency when performing memcopies over NVLink and over PCIe.

So far, I haven’t found a solution to force the system to only use PCIe instead of NVLink. Does anybody know about a possibility to do so?

Thanks for your support!

I don’t believe there is a way, if you intend to use P2P copies.

However if you don’t intend to use P2P copies, then just make sure your code doesn’t enable P2P. In that case, all device-device transfers will flow through the CPU socket, travelling over PCIE to get to/from the CPU socket.

The P2PBandwidthLatencyTest sample code demonstrates this, and outputs a measured bandwidth matrix for device-to-device transfers when P2P is not enabled (as one piece of its overall output).

If you now ask for instructions on how to disable P2P for a large software stack such as TF or Pytorch, I wouldn’t be able to tell you how to do that. But if you are writing your own code, it should be fairly straightforward.