Difficulties using Nsight on Centos 7.6

I have a system with Centos 7.6 and cuda toolkit 10.0.130 installed.

If I use the nsight binary included with the cuda installation, the application regularly has hard crashes back to the desktop. This happens both with the openjdk 11 originally installed, as well as the oracle jdk8 I later installed. The error message always has to do with a widget assertion failing. An example error:

Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM warning: ignoring option MaxPermSize=256m; support was removed in 8.0
CompilerOracle: exclude java/lang/reflect/Array.newInstance

Excluding compile: static java.lang.reflect.Array::newInstance

java: /builddir/build/BUILD/oxygen-gtk2-1.3.4/src/animations/oxygencomboboxdata.cpp:87: void Oxygen::ComboBoxData::setButton(GtkWidget*): Assertion `!_button._widget’ failed.

If instead I manually install eclipse 4.7 (Oxygen) along with the eclipse plugin provided by the toolkit installation, I get a different error. Eclipse itself seems more stable, but the code parser very quickly runs out of memory. I’ve already edited the eclipse.ini to allow it up to 8GB of ram. However if I watch the process in top, it only takes a few seconds for java to churn through that amount, and after another 30 seconds the parsing processes start crashing.

It seems to only be certain files that cause this. If I add folders one at a time to my project the parser is fast and happy, and only when a certain subset gets added does it go crazy. But this entire project parsed fine using the nsight eclipse edition (native, not plugin) on a similar Ubutunu system, so there’s nothing crazy in the code.

Not sure what my options are at this point.

I still don’t know why the parser uses so much memory when using eclipse with an nsight plugin, but I did find that the assertion failure with the nsightEE binary is more properly an eclipse + gtk issue. If I make sure it does not use the oxygen theme there seems to be no problem.