Disable/bypass MX450 in Thinkbook in Ubuntu/Mint?

The Thinkbook 15 G2 ITL (20VE005AUK) comes with Core i7-1165G7 + dGPU MX450.

I don’t really need the dGPU, but the model is not available without and the offer is good (approx. £800).

Now, my question is (in case I do not just simply get the NVIDIA driver to work in a sensible/smooth way), can I expect to be able to simply disable the MX450 without that causing any problems? Is there maybe even a way of disabling in BIOS?

Or is there a chance I will end up in problems when connecting two external displays using HDMi + Thunderbolt?

Not sure what to expect and it has been many years since I last used NVIDIA in Linux (and they are not exactly fond memories), so I hope I can get some expert advice here.

Thanks a lot!

PS: Phoronix tests suggests that the i7-1165G7 iGPU might be just as good as low-end dGPUs, which is another reason to want to be able to bypass the dGPU and avoid any unnecessary FUD. That said, it might be fun trying it out… :)

Install Kde-Neon.
Kernel 5.10.9 Ubuntu Mainline.
Nvidia 460 Driver from Graphics PPA.
Follow the official Nvidia Driver install instruction. You can find this on the bottom of the additional information page. There’s a “README” link. Arch Linux Wiki is another good source. Read the nvidia 460 Release and the Kernel release notes. There’s never been a better time for nVidia on Linux. The Geforce MX450 is an Optimus Platform. A stepped down GTX1650. The vast majority that I see in Linux are completely misinformed, misguided and confused about Optimus, Switchable, Integrated. My advise would be to install and configure the nVidia driver as per Man. Instruction as applicable as it is to the Distro Driver if that’s what your using. You can manipulate Canonical/ Ubuntu Prime via simply cli. “dGPU On/Off/ On demand”. You should read the Optimus White Paper.

To answer the 2 monitors question. Yes. That’s why you need Kernel 5.10.9+. Kernel Devs have chopped and changed libevdev, libusb, libusbhidraw, xinput. The ps/2 libusb channel bandwidth at was is legacy now. This directly improves displayport, Thunderbolt, Usb-3/C+, Touchpad,Multitouch/gesture. You get the picture. Kill X and Opengl apps when installing nvidia. Check Nvidia libs and simlinks. There’s a glnvd trap that trips people up because people hang onto intel -gpu. think you’ll have to black list and flag ad off the intel igpu in the kernel. Maybe even flag the intel -gpu off the iommu.

Remember to have fresh UEFI-Bios Firmware, Run Fwupd, run PCI.IDs update.PCUTILD. The PCI.IDs in Ubuntu MainRepo are a year old so official repo is on GITHUB. Setup nVidia ACPI support.Lm-sensors isn’t great for some laptops. Screen Issues with Asus that I know of. Check it out.

Nvidia-Settings booleans need to be set. I’m on phone so can’t check I think there s at least 3.

Nvidia-sli does not work with full composition pipeline for 2 monitors.Not applicable but I think there might have been near it in the nvidia settings section.

Do you need to install X11 multihead extension and or libevdev and evdev dkms?

Lastly, theres a libgnvd package in the ubuntu main repo. Have a look it might make life easier.

and individual monitor definitions in xorg nvidia conf.
and metamodes and for full composition pipeline. Read the guide.Stay off reddit and Ask Ubuntu and you’ll be fine.

It’s late. I’m on phone and have fat fingers. So much autocorrect

That machine really looks like a very good offer. Unfortunately, you can’t tell in advance to which gpu (intel/nvidia) the external connectors are connected. E.g. Asus built the same model for different regions with the same Ryzen+GTX1650 in three variants:

• all external connectors on igpu
  • one on igpu and one on dgpu
  • all on dgpu
    So it’s really trial and error.

Thanks for a comprehensive answer. It is helpful. I was aware of the recent kernel additions, especially concerning Thunderbolt. As for the rest, as intriguing as it sounds, these days I prefer and often just need a machine that runs without having to play around too much. I did not know about KDE Neon - for quite a few years now I have just been using Mint/Cinnamon. Will have a look…

Ha! Yes, thanks, that’s the thing: trial and error - I was hoping to not have to deal with too much of that.

I called Lenovo and asked them questions, but they knew nothing other than what I could find myself on https://psref.lenovo.com/

Alternatively wait 6-8 weeks for a model without dGPU from China (Chinese New Year and Brexit clogged ports in the UK), a vendor told me. Hmm… This feels like a friendly, helpful forum, but not sure I want to spend days on end here, though :)

PS: It appears that the Thinkbook has been “awarded the status of certified pre-install for Ubuntu”

… but their reservations do not exactly inspire confidence:

Please note that for pre-installed systems:

1. The system is available in some regions with a special image of Ubuntu pre-installed by the manufacturer. It takes advantage of the hardware features for this system and may include additional software. You should check when buying the system whether this is an option.

2. Standard images of Ubuntu may not work at all on the system or may not work well, though Canonical and computer manufacturers will try to certify the system with future standard releases of Ubuntu.