Disable OTA update for Jetpack?

Our carrier board manufacturer hasn’t made new drivers for 4.6.4 yet and when our software developers connect to our units in the field, we have to tell them DO NOT use apt upgrade because it will install 4.6.4 and “break” the system due to missing drivers. We’re stuck at 4.6.3 for now until that’s fixed at our carrier board supplier.

Is there a way to disable upgrading jetpack via apt until the drivers are available, and if so, is there a way to reverse it to re-enable upgrading jetpack again once they are available?

The aim is to make it so these units stay on 4.6.3 no matter if we run apt upgrade or not.

Hi SteveAtSWS,

You could try to comment out the contents in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/nvidia-l4t-apt-source.list to disable the apt upgrade for nvidia-jetpack.

1 Like

I will try this on a test system before our production units. If this works, I’ll come back and mark it as the solution. Thanks!

1 Like

After some extensive testing on what’s breaking here, I came to the conclusion it may have something to do with running the OS from the NVME.

I loaded a system with 4.6.3 on the internal memory, did an sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade and when it came back up with 4.6.4, everything was fine.

But when I tested it with the OS on a NVME (moved from internal memory to NVME via this guide at forecr), after completing the upgrade via sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade it comes back up with a blank display. I can still log in via ssh, but the desktop is gone. Also all of the cuda and jetson specific programs don’t work (like jtop and deepstream, for example).

We have 5 systems in the field with 4.5.1, and 3 with 4.6.3, so risking an upgrade breaking these would be catastrophic.

I haven’t tested your solution yet, but I’ll give it a go today.

You could try to comment out the contents in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/nvidia-l4t-apt-source.list to disable the apt upgrade for nvidia-jetpack .

Welp, that worked. Thanks for the suggestion. Locking them to their current jetpack version should do the trick if things are going to go south after an upgrade.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.