Disable xorg.conf on Ubuntu

Hi,

I have installed CUDA6.5 on my Ubuntu 14.04 os. I am using gt980 graphic card and i7 4770 cpu. Normally I use my cpu for display output, so called (iGPU), so I added the flag “–no-opengl-libs” when installing the 6.5 toolkit. I also noticed that it might conflict with the xorg.conf after updating Ubuntu, but I have no idea how to disable default xorg.conf update by Ubuntu. Here is the output of “locate xorg.conf”

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/11-evdev-quirks.conf
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/11-evdev-trackpoint.conf
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-vmmouse.conf
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-wacom.conf
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/51-synaptics-quirks.conf
/usr/share/man/man5/xorg.conf.5.gz
/usr/share/man/man5/xorg.conf.d.5.gz

I can create the xorg.conf file there but I was wondering what command I should use to disable it.

Thanks in advance
Sen

Default xorg.conf location is /etc/X11/xorg.conf
You don’t have any file with that name. If you were asking how to disable Ubuntu from creating an xorg.conf in the above location, exclude Ubuntu from updating any graphics drivers and that should do the trick.

Really thanks for your help, I am trying to disable the default graphic update, any hint on this or I should manually uncheck those packages when updating?

Have you tried running your debugger in NSight? If it’s still complaining about all CUDA devices being used for debugging, make sure you check both

lsof /dev/nvidia*

(Only java should be using it)
and

glxheads

glxheads should show that it is running from integrated (that’s what that --no-opengl-libs option was for anyways…)

As for xorg.conf. X will overwrite that anyways, your best bet is setting up a 10-monitors.conf file to tell the computer to use integrated for screens. Here is my 10-monitors.conf file (located in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d):

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "VGA1"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "HDMI2"
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier      "intel0"
   Driver          "intel"
   BusID           "PCI:0@0:2:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier      "intel1"
   Driver          "intel"
   BusID           "PCI:0@0:2:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier     "Screen0"
   Device         "intel0"
   Monitor        "VGA1"
   DefaultDepth   24
   SubSection     "Display"
      Depth       24
      Modes       "1680x1050" "1920x1080"
   EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier     "Screen1"
   Device         "intel1"
   Monitor        "HDMI2"
   DefaultDepth   24
   SubSection     "Display"
      Depth       24
      Modes       "1680x1050" "1920x1080"
   EndSubSection
EndSection

My monitor isn’t actually connected to HDMI (it’s DVI), but if I run xrandr that’s what it tells me. I don’t argue because it works. You can get the BusID from

lspci | grep VGA

Let me know if that helps, I just got mine working today.

Hi, I have installed the CUDA with the flag “–no-opengl-libs”, so it does not conflict with my integrated display, they both work fine. Every time my system updates, although my screen is ok, the CUDA driver will be overwritten, then I have to manually reinstall it. I found that it is from the Ubuntu-base package, so I can not disable the graphic pack only. Thanks for the config file, I will try that later.