Disaster Risk Monitoring Lab Time & ImportError Solution

I’ve been enjoying the course, but the lab reaches its usage limit before I can finish training. It is currently limited to 4 hours when the training alone is estimated (within the comments of the notebook) to take up to 5 hours. Is there any chance the limit can be extended from 4 to 8 hours? That would put me at course limit of 15 hours.

While I’m here, I might as well mention that %run src/train_unet.py triggers ImportError: cannot import name 'Concatenate' from 'typing_extensions' (/opt/conda/lib/python3.8/site-packages/typing_extensions.py). I fixed this problem with !pip install typing-extensions==4.2.0, followed by restarting the kernel. Solving this problem required a thorough investigation, so please consider including it in the notebook for future students.

Hello,

Welcome to the forums! I was able to bump up your course with ten more hours.

Cheers,
Tom

Thank you for the bump, but it is specifically the lab that is giving me issues. Once the 4 hour limit is reached, it says…

Server Connection Error
A connection to the Jupyter server could not be established. JupyterLab will continue trying to reconnect. Check your network connection or Jupyter server configuration.

Note: This is unrelated to my actual internet connection.

The hours that were spent training are lost and the lab resets entirely. Could the lab, specifically, be extended?

The maximum length of a specific lab cannot be extended unfortunately. If you’re having difficulty completing the lab in the allotted time, we recommend that you save your progress by downloading the notebook, then re-uploading it after launching the lab again.

hi @hoskin41, thank you for reaching out. i’m glad you found a workaround for the dependency conflicts. i did some research into this lab - it seems the sample codes in the appendix is quite out of date. this appendix is demonstrative and not part of the course. my recommendation would be to download all the necessary files and run them in your own environment.