Disk Encryption Feature Support

There are a couple of features that Jetpack provides that are unclear if they are supported while running disk encryption:

1. Is image based OTA supported while running disk encryption?
  2. Is A/B rootfs supported while running disk encryption?

hello user141301,

quick question, may I know which JetPack release you’re currently working on.

Currently on 32.7.1

hello user141301,

ya, that’s supported.

[EDIT]

please refer to comment #11.
Image-based OTA does not support the case of disk encryption enabled.

2 additional questions:

1. In NVIDIA Jetson Linux Developer Guide : Over-the-Air Update | NVIDIA Docs the section titled “Steps Performed on the Jetson Device” states that the first step is to modify extlinux.confto setup initrd - when running with disk encryption, this file is signed/encrypted and thus is random bytes in an editor and I cannot simply append the parameters as requested in that section. Of course nv_ota_start.sh checks for that line with a grep as a first step so the script will fail if its not there - and even if i generate a new extlinux.conf that is properly signed/encrypted, the script is unable to decrypt the file to properly parse it. What is the correct way to support image based OTA with disk encryption? I have not been able to find any pointers in the documentation.

2. Linux_for_Tegra/tools/kernel_flash/README_initrd_flash.txt does not contain a description for modifying the corresponding flash_*.xml files for using disk encryption with A/B Rootfs. I attempted to use the same nomenclature as the non-encrypted a/b rootfs example by duplicating the encrypted root partitions and postfixing the corresponding _a and _b to them, but was unable to get a device to boot this way. Is there a working example XML file that can be provided for this scenario?

hello user141301,

please refer to developer guide, Over-the-Air Update with Rootfs Redundancy Enabled.
re-cap as below…

When the option “Unified bootloader A/B and rootfs A/B” is enabled, the Jetpack Debian package over-the-air update is disabled.

Image-based OTA should works.

BTW,
There is a known issue when Rootfs A/B is enabled. When booting up from rootfs-A, rootfs-B does not get automatically unlocked by intird on A. The vice verse is also true. This problem will cause rootfs-B unmountable. Consequently, rootfs image OTA can’t be proceeded.

This issue will be fixed in next release. (i.e. l4t.r32.7.2 or later…)
A workaround is to manually add in the unlock command into initrd. Detail steps can be found in L4T Developer Guide at Disk Encryption chapter for this session, [To modify initrd to unlock additional encrypted file systems].
The UUID identifier needed for A can be found in the /etc/crypttab in initrd in partition APP_b with a line similar to below: crypt_root UUID=b5600ed6-69e7-42b8-bee3-ecfdd12649d1

So I’ve started with trying to perform OTA update with only a single encrypted rootfs (I do not yet have A/B rootfs enabled) and I am running into the issue above, that the OTA fails to start due to extlinux.conf being encrypted - and I am unable to modify extlinux.conf since it is encrypted. Im not sure I follow how the above gets around the extlinux.conf encryption issue.

hello user141301,

could you please share your steps to generate the OTA update payload package.
had you also update EKB partition with your EKB key used for disk encryption?

• As a first pass, I am simply trying to run an update with the same version as i have currently installed. To generate the OTA image I do the following:
  1. Download OTA tools from: https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/l4t/r32_release_v7.2/t186/ota_tools_r32.7.2_aarch64.tbz2
  2. Extract
  3. Then run the following
BASE_BSP="$(realpath $tegra_dir)"
ToT_BSP="$BASE_BSP"
TARGET_BSP="$ToT_BSP"
keys_path=/mnt/keys/
secureboot_params+=(-u "$keys_path"/pkc.pem)
secureboot_params+=(-v "$keys_path"/sbk)

pushd "$TARGET_BSP" || die "Cannot switch to TARGET_BSP:$TARGET_BSP"
./tools/ota_tools/version_upgrade/build_base_recovery_image.sh \
        "${secureboot_params[@]}" \
        jetson-xavier-nx-devkit-emmc R32-6 "${BASE_BSP}" "${BASE_BSP}/rootfs" "${TARGET_BSP}" ||
                die "Cannot generate recovery image"

./tools/ota_tools/version_upgrade/l4t_generate_ota_package.sh \
        "${secureboot_params[@]}" \
        jetson-xavier-nx-devkit-emmc R32-6 || die "Could not generate update package"

Note: that I have to use R32-6 because it does not seem that 32-7 is a valid entry for the OTA scripts:

$ grep -ri r32-6 work/Linux_for_Tegra/tools/ota_tools/version_upgrade/
work/Linux_for_Tegra/tools/ota_tools/version_upgrade/Image_based_OTA_Examples.txt:-_BASE_VERSIONS_NO_LAYOUT_CHANGE=( "R32-3" "R32-4" "R32-5" "R32-6" )
work/Linux_for_Tegra/tools/ota_tools/version_upgrade/Image_based_OTA_Examples.txt:+_BASE_VERSIONS_NO_LAYOUT_CHANGE=( "R32-3" "R32-5" "R32-6" )
work/Linux_for_Tegra/tools/ota_tools/version_upgrade/Image_based_OTA_Examples.txt:      echo -ne "\t\t<bsp version>: the version of the base BSP. Supported versions:R28-2, R28-3, R28-4, R32-1, R32-2, R32-3, R32-4, R32-5, R32-6;\n"
work/Linux_for_Tegra/tools/ota_tools/version_upgrade/nv_ota_common.func:_BASE_VERSIONS_NO_LAYOUT_CHANGE=( "R32-3" "R32-4" "R32-5" "R32-6" )
work/Linux_for_Tegra/tools/ota_tools/version_upgrade/build_base_recovery_image.sh:      echo -ne "\t   supported versions: R28-2, R28-3, R28-4, R32-1, R32-2, R32-3, R32-4, R32-5, R32-6\n"
work/Linux_for_Tegra/tools/ota_tools/version_upgrade/l4t_generate_ota_package.sh:       echo -ne "\t\t<bsp version>: the version of the base BSP. Supported versions:R28-2, R28-3, R28-4, R32-1, R32-2, R32-3, R32-4, R32-5, R32-6;\n"
$ grep -ri r32-7 work/Linux_for_Tegra/tools/ota_tools/version_upgrade/
$  
  • Yes, the EKB partition has been updated with the kek2 keys, field vector and symmetric keys

hello user141301,

sorry, I got confirmation that Image-based OTA does not support the case of disk encryption enabled. I will also revise my previous comments to avoid confusion.

furthermore,
if you’ve enables PKC/SBK, you may use r32.7.3 to do image-based OTA because the image-based OTA tools before r32.7.3 has some issues on supporting PKC/SBK.

Ah okay understood. Is there any path/timeline to image OTA with disk encryption being supported?

So to do image OTA with secure-boot enabled (no disk encryption) i have to use 32.7.3 correct?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.