Display jitter/freeze every 3-5 seconds when using GNOME3 and Debian (GTX 760)

I am running Debian Wheezy, was running the GNOME3 DE with an NVIDIA GTX 760 graphics card (latest drivers as of May 15 2014).

When using GNOME3 with my new graphics card, the display freezes for about an eighth to a quarter of a second every 3-5 seconds. I didn’t notice this until I tried watching a video. I did however confirm that this was not just the video freezing, but the whole display. It doesn’t seem like a big deal, but it makes watching videos unbearable.

This problem did not exist with my old graphics card.

After about a days worth of troubleshooting, I did find a workaround! I simply had to switch window managers. I’ve currently only tried “awesome”, openbox, and GNOME3. This issue doesn’t exist when using openbox or awesome, but does on GNOME3.

I will try more environments and post them in this thread for reference sometime in the future.

Honestly, I’d like to go back to GNOME3. I don’t know if this issue is GNOME3 specific, or other desktop environments and window managers suffer the same issue.

You’re probably hitting Bug 728464 – Screen update/flickering problems with nvidia drivers