Display standby doesn't work

I’ve seen this topic a few times but I’m not seeing any solutions.

My display does not go into standby but only blanks. I can still see that it’s on but with a black screen. And the power indicator is not in standby mode.
This command does not make the display go into standby mode:

sleep 1; xset dpms force standby

I’m on Xubuntu 18.04.3 with a DVI cable using Nvidia drivers version 390.129 with a Dell monitor P2412H.
I have also tried other newer drivers and those seem to blank the screen too but don’t allow me to wake it back up with keyboard or mouse activity. At least 390 allows me to wake the screen back up to log back in.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (135 KB)

I find that this puts the monitor to sleep and then wakes up on a keypress.
So I know the Nvidia card and monitor can be made to put the monitor to sleep - just not with whatever is used in Power Management.

xrandr --output DVI-D-0 --off; read -n1; xrandr --output DVI-D-0 --auto

Is there a way to change what the system does when timers expire? Maybe I could swap in parts of the code above to handle sleep and wake functions.

My display sleeps properly now that I switched to MX-Linux 19 from Xubuntu 18.04.3.
But I’m not sure what solved it, the driver (418.74) or the kernel (4.19.0-6-AMD64).

There have been changes in the driver regarding HardDPMS lately, might have done the trick. Don’t know which driver you tried before, though.

I had tried a bunch of difference drivers.
Some made the display sleep but then I couldn’t wake it back up with a mouse or keyboard movement.
I see there’s an even newer one yet release last Friday, 440.36, that maybe I’ll try again with Xubuntu.

I tried every kernel on arch linux from 5.3 onward and with newer kernels than 5.3.10 and newer drivers than 435 my laptop goes to sleep but can’t wake up while throwing Xid 32

from further analysis it looks like acpi cannot change the nvidia card power state with kernels and drivers newer than the ones mentioned thus making the system crash. Hope they will address this problem soon

Does anyone know what is the latest combination of kernel/driver that works? I don’t mind if the kernel/driver is a bit behind. My system and GPU are kind of old anyway so there’s less chance I would need a newer kernel(outside of security that is).

And like I had reported earlier, the command below works. Can I just swap this in someplace to use instead of whatever the system is using to put the monitor to sleep?

xrandr --output DVI-D-0 --off; read -n1; xrandr --output DVI-D-0 --auto

hi, 5.3.10 kernel with kernel parameter “nvidia-drm.modeset=1” for enabling v-sync and nvidia driver 435.21 works fine for me, no tearing, no stuttering and goes to sleep/wakes up correctly

I couldn’t get things working with kernel 5.3.10 and driver 435.21.

But I did get it working with Xubuntu 18.04.3 and the latest 440.36 driver, kernel 5.0.0-37, and the kernel parameter from nikisalli!

Woohoo!

It seems to sleep and wake up properly. There’s only one little thing - when it wakes up the mouse is sluggish while the login window is displayed. Once logged back in, everything is fine.