Does USD export instancing work?

Hey everyone,

I’m trying to export a heavily instance from Blender to Omniverse using USD Export with instance enabled. However, all the instances are unique geometry. Perhaps its not working yet? I did the same with the monkey head instanced a few times, but it all imported into Omniverse as unique geometry. Any help would be great. Thanks.

I believe you checked this and didn’t work?

Yes correct. I tried enabled and disabled and it didn’t seem to make a difference.

Hi @tcheng00. Yes, exporting collection instances to USD scene graph instances is implemented and should work. I’ll investigate to see if I can reproduce the issue and will get back to you. Thanks for reporting this!

1 Like

Thanks, let me know if you need anything else. Very excited to export my city environment with lots of instanced buildings into Omniverse.

Hi @tcheng00. I retested the released version and instancing export works with my test cases. Please note that, currently, instances are exported as scene graph instances and not point instances. (Point instancers will be handled in the future.) Below is the monkey head instanced in Blender on the vertices of a torus and exported to a USD which is opened in Create. As you can see, the head models are instances in Create.

Would you be able to share the test you made with the instanced head that you tried, so I can see where it might be failing? My apologies if I misunderstood the issue.
Thanks.

Thank you. The two screen shots helped me a lot. After seeing this, the issue is my lack of understanding of how to use the stage panel to understand what is actually instanced. Thanks again for taking time out to do this. This also works for instancing with Geometry node :)

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.